Whats with my Tusk? Suggestions?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I know the answer - but since its common to post a picture and just say 'whats happening?' I thought I would try this out. For those of you in medicine - what's your differential diagnosis/. for those of you not in medicine - just ask any questions you like.

FWIW - All corals are fine. All other fish are fine. Fish has been in the tank for a week. Bought from a store who has de-parasitized/QT'd prior to purchase - was in the store for 3 months in a non-copper environment before purchase - go for it:.. Its the middle of the day.

IMG_2982.jpg

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm far from an expert and it's hard to tell by your pic. Half the fish is hidden, so I can't tell if the white dots are on your tank glass or on the fish. If the white dots are on the fish, it looks like ich. Is the fish eating? Does the fish poo look white and stringy? Is the fish scratching itself against objects in the tank? In either case, with no visible symptoms, it's probably internal/external parasites and it's time to treat with PraziPro. Can you give us a hint on symptoms?

Still, if I had to guess just based on this one pic and no visible symptoms, the fish looks healthy, just skittish. The fins look clear without damage. The eye looks normal, no popeye. Of course if flukes they would be hard to see without doing a freshwater dip. To me, based on the pic, the fish just looks nervous. My guess if it shows no signs of illness the fish is just acclimating itself to its new environment.

My tusk hid most of the time when it went though its copper treatment. It continued to be skittish for several weeks after in the MD. Now mine's out all the time. For a fish with such big teeth, the one I have sure was a scaredy cat in the beginning. LOL

So... do tell. What's wrong with your tusk...if anything? BTW, nice looking fish! I love the pinkish colors on it. Mine is not Australian; it's an Inde so it does not have the pink.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm far from an expert and it's hard to tell by your pic. Half the fish is hidden, so I can't tell if the white dots are on your tank glass or on the fish. If the white dots are on the fish, it looks like ich. Is the fish eating? Does the fish poo look white and stringy? Is the fish scratching itself against objects in the tank? In either case, with no visible symptoms, it's probably internal/external parasites and it's time to treat with PraziPro. Can you give us a hint on symptoms?

Still, if I had to guess just based on this one pic and no visible symptoms, the fish looks healthy, just skittish. The fins look clear without damage. The eye looks normal, no popeye. Of course if flukes they would be hard to see without doing a freshwater dip. To me, based on the pic, the fish just looks nervous. My guess if it shows no signs of illness the fish is just acclimating itself to its new environment.

My tusk hid most of the time when it went though its copper treatment. It continued to be skittish for several weeks after in the MD. Now mine's out all the time. For a fish with such big teeth, the one I have sure was a scaredy cat in the beginning. LOL

So... do tell. What's wrong with your tusk...if anything? BTW, nice looking fish! I love the pinkish colors on it. Mine is not Australian; it's an Inde so it does not have the pink.
You're right - kind of - He just goes there to rest. He swims normally goes all over the tank - eats etc - and when he's done eating - he goes there and sits lol:). Its actually funny to watch. He's completely healthy. :). but it's an interesting idea - fish do what they do - it's not always a 'problem'. didnt see the spots on the glass - but he definitely has no disease that I can see - you did a great job:)

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to learn the fish is not sick and my gut feeling was right that it was just hiding. Beautiful fish.:D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back