What's with my zoas?

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these zoas for free, when i was starting. They were feeling pretty well and growing, but yesterday at night i noticed some white spots? areas? on them. Thought it was zoa pox, but today most of zoas are open and do not have as many white stuff as yesterday. Only two polyps that i see are white and look dead(do i need to remove them?)
I do not know the causes.
Could be - disturbed sandbed( i moved rocks a bit) that made water cloudy for a few days or some LFS water that i accidentally poured while acclimating a nassarius.
I, unfortunately, do not use tests, because my aquarium is on a small budget. But from what i can tell, my other corals, including two pieces of gorgonians(i will not call these 1 inch sticks frags) seem happy and open, snails are living and eating, fish are ok and healthy too.

IMG_20240418_084626.jpg IMG_20240418_083904.jpg IMG_20240418_083738.jpg

OP
OP
Common Blevil

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot, i also have a big population of izopods, could they irritate zoas? I read a lot of conflicting information about this. And i have really really large quantity of isopods, they are swarming all around everything.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like normal new growth. You might want some more flow if it’s irritated by detritus

Palythoas use sand to grow in their tissues so think it’s just incorporating sand into the tissue

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that disturbing the sand, specially if you don't have any CUC that do it for you regularly, can cause a sudden spike in various negative elements for a short time before the tank can rebalance. They could have been upset by that.

OP
OP
Common Blevil

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like normal new growth. You might want some more flow if it’s irritated by detritus

Palythoas use sand to grow in their tissues so think it’s just incorporating sand into the tissue
Hope it's that. I increased the flow, and, miraculously, even xenia that in the past did not pulse when the flow was moderate, pulses vigorously!

OP
OP
Common Blevil

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that disturbing the sand, specially if you don't have any CUC that do it for you regularly, can cause a sudden spike in various negative elements for a short time before the tank can rebalance. They could have been upset by that.
I have lots of worms, a conch and nassarius... But the second one is lazy, and nassarius is new... So i probably need to stop moving rocks Would i be able to add pistol shrimp and a goby in the future? I recently dug up a piece of coral skeleton from the sand, and it was grey... Will they poison themselves with sulphur oxide?

OP
OP
Common Blevil

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answers, I will monitor the health of the corals and make an update after a few days. Hope, the coral is just irritated because of sandbed "goodies" and not because of some disease

OP
OP
Common Blevil

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answers, I will monitor the health of the corals and make an update after a few days. Hope, the coral is just irritated because of sandbed "goodies" and not because of some disease
Zoas seem to do ok and not die, so i think it really was just irritation because of sandbed mulm.

OP
OP
Common Blevil

Common Blevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas seem to do ok and not die, so i think it really was just irritation because of sandbed mulm.
No, it appears to be either zoa pox or some fungus. They have warty yellow-white areas and half of them are closed, the other half seems half closed. I'm starting iodine dips because, because furan 2 or it's analogs are not available.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back