What's wrong w my wrasse? Not good

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently got a wrasse from the lfs and put it in qt. He's been doing great, until, today. He's laying on his side breathing faster than normal, but his tail looks all chewed up! Nothing else is in the tank w him except some small hermits and snails. The qt has been set up for years. I recently had a wrasse jump so I got another one to quarantine until ready for the display. I also put a top on (oops). Idk whats wrong w this guy!

PXL_20231003_014207013.jpg PXL_20231003_014216108.jpg PXL_20231003_014230803.jpg

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tested ammonia, 0.

Nothing is in the tank to damage his tail like that either. He ate yesterday but I did notice his tail was a little messed up.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is not mobile the hermit crab could do that kind of damage. I do not suggest putting any types of crabs in a QT. A better time line from fish store to now could help. Was the fish eating and acting normal before all this happened. Not looking good but maybe someone else has suggestions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently got a wrasse from the lfs and put it in qt. He's been doing great, until, today. He's laying on his side breathing faster than normal, but his tail looks all chewed up! Nothing else is in the tank w him except some small hermits and snails. The qt has been set up for years. I recently had a wrasse jump so I got another one to quarantine until ready for the display. I also put a top on (oops). Idk whats wrong w this guy!

PXL_20231003_014207013.jpg PXL_20231003_014216108.jpg PXL_20231003_014230803.jpg
This fish has severe tail damage either from aggression or powerhead but I suspect aggression and may be too late to treat as fish appears to be moribund and may not eat or swim normal at this point.
Seachem kanaplex is treatment but again may not help in this condition.
What other occupants are in the tank with it?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the fish is not mobile the hermit crab could do that kind of damage. I do not suggest putting any types of crabs in a QT. A better time line from fish store to now could help. Was the fish eating and acting normal before all this happened. Not looking good but maybe someone else has suggestions.
It's fin was damaged the day prior before any crabs were near it
Timeline would be 2 weeks ago, I purchased the fish at the lfs, he's been eating and swimming normally. He ate yesterday in fact.

This fish has severe tail damage either from aggression or powerhead but I suspect aggression and may be too late to treat as fish appears to be moribund and may not eat or swim normal at this point.
Seachem kanaplex is treatment but again may not help in this condition.
What other occupants are in the tank with it?
No other occupants other than small hermits and snails. I have one powerhead, set to 20%, it's a nero 3, and it has guards on it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the tail had some minor damage and then became infected? It must be a really aggressive bacteria though, to have cause this much damage overnight.

I agree - the prognosis is really poor for a fish with an infection like this, sorry.

Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a melanurus? I see sand, but is there enough for it to hide and sleep?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if the tail had some minor damage and then became infected? It must be a really aggressive bacteria though, to have cause this much damage overnight.

I agree - the prognosis is really poor for a fish with an infection like this, sorry.

Jay
Sadly he was gone this morning, he didn't look saveable when I snapped the pics.

Is that a melanurus? I see sand, but is there enough for it to hide and sleep?
Yes and yes, it's much higher in other areas.

I normally will qt in a dedicated qt but the fish was at the lfs for 2mo and looked super healthy. Lesson learned.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with others - one more quick comment - I would be a little careful (not paranoid) - about not getting water from that tank on an open wound (on you) - in case it could be a vibrio species - which can (very rarely) infect human wounds - especially with certain medical conditions.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with others - one more quick comment - I would be a little careful (not paranoid) - about not getting water from that tank on an open wound (on you) - in case it could be a vibrio species - which can (very rarely) infect human wounds - especially with certain medical conditions.
Right - I'm going to be doing a water change. Not sure if I should treat the tank too (and with what)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right - I'm going to be doing a water change. Not sure if I should treat the tank too (and with what)
Did you already add the recommended antibiotic to the tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back