Whats wrong with my scoly!

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this scoly a month or two ago. And im confused why its fat one one side, and skinny on the other side? So weird it gets low flow, 100spar. And i feed weekly.

Attached my parameters

IMG_0279.jpeg IMG_0278.jpeg IMG_0253.png

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothings wrong with it. They do that sometimes. Things that can affect poofiness are flow, annoyed by crab/critter, time of day/night, and when it was last fed

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to worry about, I actually have a tracyphyllia that has one of the lobes at an almost 90° angle because that's where the flow is coming from lol

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to worry about, I actually have a tracyphyllia that has one of the lobes at an almost 90° angle because that's where the flow is coming from lol
Looks good. They are not always perfectly symmetrical.

The issue is. It wasn’t like that when i got it. It was almost perfect circle.

If u notice its lifted a bit here is thet a concern?

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s amazing to me how a little bit of flow can annoy these large LPS corals. My guess would be that the small side is where the flow hits it. It’s probably bouncing off the glass.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this is a smaller (adolescent) scoly or a button scoly but to me, it’s small. It’s the size of the frag plug so maybe 1.25” ?

Think of scoly like a mushroom on skeletal base. It can inflate, retract, expand. Things that cause this are water flow, when it captured and ate food last, a crab or snail bumping into it, lighting, time of day/night, etc

I don’t see anything wrong, the lifting could be from a change in water flow. These are not hard corals, they are soft and they react to various things. Is water current coming from the side that’s lifting a little? It could just be getting blown upwards a little from flow.

Not a scoly, but my Cynarina, which is similar. Here are pictures of the various ways it looks depending on the variables I mentioned earlier. Sometimes a portion is lifted a little, sometimes it’s flat, sometimes it’s poofy

Sometimes 75% of my scolly is inflated and poofy and one section is flat. It is normal

Attachments

• B53264C3-47A5-4914-8C60-9888FACDDCB5.jpeg
    B53264C3-47A5-4914-8C60-9888FACDDCB5.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 16
  • 707ADCBE-EF24-4A0A-A566-3885C2D60561.png
    707ADCBE-EF24-4A0A-A566-3885C2D60561.png
    869.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 63B40197-2A7E-4061-84BF-65569F0F8937.png
    63B40197-2A7E-4061-84BF-65569F0F8937.png
    723.2 KB · Views: 16

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are giving it an ideal environment, but you are still having issues then it could be a date mussel (lithophaga), a type of boring mussel that irritates the scoly from inside its skeletal base: (see the Shane Danger video at 27:40 if it doesn't autoplay at that spot).

Obviously, ensure it has ideal living conditions first. There is no need jump straight to the extreme of cutting off some of the skeleton if something simple like flow can resolve it. If after another month your scoly is getting worse then it may be something to consider.

You likely won't be able to tell just by looking at the outside since the mussel will bore itself in when it is tiny and the scoly can repair the skeleton. The base of yours looks fairly small and somewhat freshly cut, probably done to glue it onto that tile. Hopefully any lithophaga may have been chopped up during that process. If yours was trimmed before putting on that tile then you might be able to see a perfectly round hole (you can see some in the video) which would indicate there is one inside your scoly.

I've had my scoly for about 6 months. The first few months it was fat and happy, then it slowly started getting less and less puffy. About a month ago it stopped inflating and I could see some tissue recession. Last weekend I took a rotary cutting wheel to the base of it, and found one of those inside, about 1.5" long. It must have been in there the whole time, but was finally large enough that it irritated my scoly enough to be noticeable.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are giving it an ideal environment, but you are still having issues then it could be a date mussel (lithophaga), a type of boring mussel that irritates the scoly from inside its skeletal base: (see the Shane Danger video at 27:40 if it doesn't autoplay at that spot).

Obviously, ensure it has ideal living conditions first. There is no need jump straight to the extreme of cutting off some of the skeleton if something simple like flow can resolve it. If after another month your scoly is getting worse then it may be something to consider.

You likely won't be able to tell just by looking at the outside since the mussel will bore itself in when it is tiny and the scoly can repair the skeleton. The base of yours looks fairly small and somewhat freshly cut, probably done to glue it onto that tile. Hopefully any lithophaga may have been chopped up during that process. If yours was trimmed before putting on that tile then you might be able to see a perfectly round hole (you can see some in the video) which would indicate there is one inside your scoly.

I've had my scoly for about 6 months. The first few months it was fat and happy, then it slowly started getting less and less puffy. About a month ago it stopped inflating and I could see some tissue recession. Last weekend I took a rotary cutting wheel to the base of it, and found one of those inside, about 1.5" long. It must have been in there the whole time, but was finally large enough that it irritated my scoly enough to be noticeable.

How’s my scoly looking for you today? Moved it away from the flow.

Looks good. They are not always perfectly symmetrical.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it just looks like a healthy baby scoly. Needs to grow more to have more flesh so it can come over the plug and to the ground. Feed 2-3x a week at night when feeders are out. Do you look at night when lights have been off for a hour?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it just looks like a healthy baby scoly. Needs to grow more to have more flesh so it can come over the plug and to the ground. Feed 2-3x a week at night when feeders are out. Do you look at night when lights have been off for a hour?
I just fed it it didnt have the crazy tentacles out. But i got a feeding reacting after feeding mysis shrimp. Does it looks like its eating?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to say if it’s just reacting to something landing on it

If you see the feeding tentacles, the coral will seem to come alive when food touches them. It will grab it and pull them in and there is no mistake that it got food

Here is my Cynarina and scoly - one is ready for food lol the other isn’t

My lights aren’t fully out yet, they are still ramping down. (I turned them up to take this pic) In a little while the scoly will look similar

20A05441-F296-4125-B9DB-DB1615196769.jpeg

Edit - now the scoly is ready F50D53C4-57D1-4BA6-883F-94DB7799907E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scoly update. I moved it to a lower flow/light area. And iv been trying to feed 3x a week. I neglected feeding lately because iv been busy working a lot

Does it look like its dying?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back