What's your biggest PERSONAL challenge to reefing in the future?

What's your biggest PERSONAL challenge to reefing in the future?

• Money

Votes: 346 51.0%
  • Time

Votes: 168 24.8%
  • Relationships

Votes: 18 2.7%
  • Failure

Votes: 57 8.4%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 66 9.7%
  • No Challenges

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major challenge I have is work and job hoping to better paying jobs. For this reason I keep a 20 gallon tank and don't plan to exceed 60 gallons until I am in a set location. Anything above 60 gallons is a nightmare to breakdown, even if you have a few friends helping you.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we make the poll able to have more than one choice chosen? Time is my biggest factor, but money and relationship also comes into play. I have to be very careful of how much I spend on the tank and how much time I spend on it, otherwise the wife starts making subtle hints that I'm spending to much time on the tank.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved 2 years ago, breaking down and moving my 210 gallon tank. Since moving, electrical problems delayed the resetup of the tank, losing most of my livestock and corals in the delay, as my "temporary holding tank" was ineffective for holding corals long term.

Now, family medical challenges have limited income, and the tank slogs on with a couple of fish, a CUC and a bunch of algae...

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest challenge will be boredom, at the moment its exciting as its my first time with corals, but im thinking down the line when tank is full and cant add anything more, then what? do I just leave it and enjoy what I have achieved? do I start another tank? do I sell all the corals and start again?
Part of the allure of this hobby is building your tank from scratch and watching it grow from a single coral/fish to an entire reef tank, without that I wouldn't know what I would do.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first voted money. Then I changed that. While money is indeed an issue, now that I have a setup that will really only need a light (working on that) a skimmer or pump( will work on that next) and the basics(salt, test kit etc) my main issue is my health. That being said, the new setup will definitely make that easier. It’s a larger system that I don’t have to worry that my overflow will get air in due to not having an aqualifter, or the baffles in my sump being wrong.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with crabs, there are several factors Time , Money, relationships not to mention living a normal life.
We tell ourselves its a hobby but its more of a lifestyle choice

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nearing retirement. My wife and I live in New York. Our plan is to travel during the months of January and February. I have someone who can feed the fish and top off my ATO, but in the (inevitable) event of an equipment failure, I don't have a backup plan.

jrb1021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Availability of livestock, and getting that very expensive livestock through quarantine. I can't think of any other purchase for that kind of money where you're told to expect that you'll just be literally flushing your money down the drain half the time.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we make the poll able to have more than one choice chosen? Time is my biggest factor, but money and relationship also comes into play. I have to be very careful of how much I spend on the tank and how much time I spend on it, otherwise the wife starts making subtle hints that I'm spending to much time on the tank.
Can I copy and paste this please?

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of your Personal challenges for reefing in the future?

Right now, the ability to undertake and support this hobby is easy, I have a great job and live in a low cost of living area. This means I have disposable income. You never know what the future hold though and this is something I think about all the time. How would I maintain what I do, at the level I do if I did not have the income to support it. Reef Keeping CAN be expensive, it seems companies can pretty much charge what they want and people will buy it, no questions asked, which is a problem (I digressed). I think if you look at my setup, using live rock right from the ocean, a challenge of mine is how to ensure I keep on top of unwanted hitchhikers. That’s my biggest concern right now and will become a challenge in the future if not dealt with now.

What would stop you from keeping a saltwater reef aquarium?

For me two things. Money and Moving. Those are the only two things that would stop me reef keeping, at least for now. Moving a house with a Reef Tank is a pain in the butt, it’s a pain if you move ½ mile away and it’s a pain if you move state or country. It’s not only the move that makes things difficult, the other thing is you have planned your current Reef Tank around your current house layout. It’s likely that a new house is not going to be a fit for your tank. So those are my two answers here.

Just in a side note. And please, nobody take this personally, it’s just my opinion, and this would not make me stop Reef Keeping, but I wanted to add this. Pimp Your Reef type tanks, and designer corals and all that jazz. I like it to a point but for me that takes away why I got into this hobby. In my opinion, a Reef tank should look like what you would see in the Indian Ocean, or The barrier reef and not like a Picasso painting. For me (me) that’s taking something away from the hobby. I expect some flames on this part :)

Do you plan for reefing in the future and if so how?

Yes, I plan on reefing in the future. What I KNOW will happening is that in two years or so I will be bored of the Reef 100.3. I will want something bigger, I will want that tank with an Achilles tang swimming around, with multiple anemones, with a better scape. I know I will want all that! So yes, I will defiantly keep on reefing, it will just be with a bigger tank!

Last edited:

bearsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No challenges for me at this time. I have been in and out of the hobby for a few years and I think I am finally in a position to say that my current plan will either keep things going or permit growth over time. If at any point growth is not possible, staying still within each step is ok with me.

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many things mentioned above ring true. as for me, my own challenge will be patience and restraint. I’ve started my display over, wanting to go in a different direction with the system. In my head I have a specific end result, I just need to stay true to that and not allow all of the other shinier things get involved.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back