What's your expenditure pattern like? :D

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember if it was here or another sub or just over multiple times, but I do remember people talking about how they just keep on spending and spending and spending, sometimes more and more and more. And that made me super curious about my expenditure.

I decided to go back and track my spendings for my two most recent aquariums as they were only set up in the last three month, so it was still easy to get the info I need. Some of the refunds I got were over multiple days, but I can't remember which day and I think I accidentally deleted the emails, so it cannot be precise. But these were all from LiveAquaria, so it was all gonna be basically 7 days arrive alive guarantee. So I decided to put all credits I receive from an order to be 7 days from the date of purchase of that order. It won't be precise, but good enough. A final dip for my 20 gallon aquarium tank is from splitting the costs of some of the items I share between it and another aquarium I recently set up. Since I am using them pretty much half/half, I decided to have the cost be split 50/50. But in the future, if anything else changes I will adjust the costing accordingly.

It was very interesting to see my spending habits. If you guys are keen, try it out yourself! :D Would be super interesting to see how spending generally tracks. Here are my two aquariums:
1617060992072.png

1617060632694.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about I just document what I tell my wife everything costs?
$1.00, $1.00, $1.00, $1.00, $1.00
That one, I got for free. That was a trade with a fellow aquarist. That one was using credit I got from a guarantee. XD XD XD

Hits close to home man ahahahaha.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my first tank there was a steady increase of expenses for the first year. By 1.5 years my tank began to pay for itself. I probably came close to breaking even by the time I took it down about 4.5 years later. My newer tank that was an upgrade has cost me far to much, and I dont even want to add up what I have into it after about the 7 months it has been up and running. I cant wait till I can really start fragging some coral and start having it pay for itself.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about I just document what I tell my wife everything costs?
$1.00, $1.00, $1.00, $1.00, $1.00
This so much haha , to also be fair I’ve saved sooo much money from only buying from offer up / other reefers , anemone at LFS - 250$ for a quarter size RBTA, offer up = 40$ for plate sized RBTA, once my anemones split I hope to pass the savings on

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is my first Salt water tank and I'm not much of a hoarder, i had to buy a lot of new equipment (Salt, RODI, powerheads, pumps, heater, test kits, refrac, nets, buckets, tubing, food, additives, etc). I don't have the numbers in a graph like yours, but about 2.5k CAD in the first week, about 500 the second week, and another 500 in the ~3 weeks since. I imagine spending over the next 2-3 months would be about another 500: couple more fish, some more crabs/snails, 1, maybe 2 more euphyllia (I'm addicted help), and the rest on copepods.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept up with all the major purchases on my old tank that’s still setup. I also kept track of the major purchases on the new tank. I even kept a list of all my coral purchases over the last 4 years on the old tank. Price of the coral and where it was purchased from. Pretty mind blowing really. It’s amazing how much money you can fit inside a tiny glass box. I find it hard to keep up with all the little things so I just quit keeping track. Just like utility bills. It never ends. Most of these corals will be transferred to the new system. A bit more real estate in the new tank and a wonderful excuse to buy more coral. My expenditures are locked in the notes in my phone. I seriously hope my wife doesn’t use my fingerprint to open that when I’m asleep. I might not wake up. Helpful tip. Always schedule deliveries on livestock when she’s at work or away. No babe, that’s always been in there. Also asked for forgiveness and never permission.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back