What's your experience with Aiptasia KILLERS?

Do you currently have aiptasia in your aquarium?

• NONE

Votes: 363 40.9%
  • Very few, maybe one or two..

Votes: 222 25.0%
  • I can see several here and there..

Votes: 157 17.7%
  • I have quite a few and I'm starting to worry..

Votes: 78 8.8%
  • I have an infestation and I need help..

Votes: 46 5.2%
  • Other..

Votes: 21 2.4%

• Total voters

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get aptasia in your tank if your sister dated a guy who once met a friend for drinks at a sushi restaurant, and she texted you to say they had a salt water tank at the restaurant........ So good luck if you think you will never have aptasia in your tank. Get some pepermint shrimp, an aptasia eating file fish or the mac daddy, a copperband butterfly to prevent you from having to look at them in your display.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F Aptasia has worked but is spendy. Peppermint Shrimp worked. Aptasia X was like fertilizer. Lemon Juice works the best for the money
Best way to say F Aptasia is by getting a copperband butterfly. And it will also be the coolest fish in your tank.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an outbreak at the moment I am using burgia nudabroncs it's taken a lot longer to eradicate this time around then it did the first time I ran into them.

NanoBoxes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added Berghias to both tanks a little over a month ago and they have slowly annihilated them with only a few left. Aiptasia X seems to only work on older aiptasia that have been established a while, and only works on those not protruding sideways or upside down. Berghias have always worked but are not for the impatient, since they are slow to get going.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The face of the devil.
16159228759221273530504184038358.jpg

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two tanks, in the 75g I have a Filefish that keeps them in check, I only see some deep in the rocks that he can't get to. The 20g in my workshop I have Peppermint shrimp that take care of them quickly if one pops up.

Swac3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish cleaned out the aips i had years ago, loved the guy too sadly he went carpet surfing one night

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using nudis and never saw them again. What a huge waste of money ($150) that was. I tried the paste stuff and found that they ALWAYS come back within two weeks. I just don’t know what to do at this point.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few and some were fairly good looking, brite red. I have always used a laser on them and burnt them up. But I recently introduced 2 Singapore angels that seem to fancy them so I bet bow I have none.

Russell G

Meh...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What has been the BEST and most effective "tool" that you have used to get rid of aiptasia in your aquarium?

Berghia nudi’s have been the best overall but you have to make sure there’s nothing in your tank that will eat them or they’re a waste of money. Too many people throw them in and they fall prey to something else in the tank. Then people say they don’t work. As long as you add enough that they can find each other and reproduce and they don’t get eaten by something else, your aiptasia will disappear.

2. What are all the ways that have worked and have not worked?

I tried superglue first but they would just find a way around it in the rock work. After seeing that I got the berghia and added them to the tank. I did use some AiptasiaX on some of the really big ones or ones that were hurting other corals but the nudi’s cleaned every single one from the tank and I haven’t seen any in months. I’m sure they’re all dead now too... I used to see at least one or two at night but haven’t seen any in a long time. Since the aiptaisa hasn’t reared its ugly head, I would have to assume they are every one and starved off.

careefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good success with nudis one time and currently peppermint shrimp. Feel like the peppermint shrimp is a better solution as they can eat other stuff if they run out of aptasia. YMMV

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What eats the nudis? Will a 6 line or a Flame Hawkfish eat them? If so, I’m screwed.

Lukielight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aiptasia farm. Pretty sure the x in aiptasia x is for multiplication because that's all it's done for me. Kill one big one get 30 babies. I suck them off the sand with a turkey baster. Tried getting peppermint shrimp but they all disappeared. Not sure if they're that good at hiding or they got snacked on by one of my fish.

Moab_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia anemones are a pest to the nth degree! They almost seemingly appear from nowhere and seem to breed in epic proportions. They are a pain to say the least. :p So in order to be a good steward of our reef aquarium it is up to us to "eliminate" them. But there are so many different ways that claim to get this job done and knowing what works and what doesn't work can be a challenge. There are aiptasia killing wands, aiptasia killing nudis, aiptasia killing juice, aiptasia killing fish and so on and so forth. So today I would like to ask you about your experience with Aiptasia killers!

1. What has been the BEST and most effective "tool" that you have used to get rid of aiptasia in your aquarium?

2. What are all the ways that have worked and have not worked?

BerghiaEatingThreeAiptasia.jpg

berghia nudis eating aiptasia from this zoanthid colony: image via www.saltyunderground.com
I've had luck with peppermint shrimp and aiptasia x.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back