What's your experience with Aiptasia KILLERS?

Do you currently have aiptasia in your aquarium?

• NONE

Votes: 363 40.9%
  • Very few, maybe one or two..

Votes: 222 25.0%
  • I can see several here and there..

Votes: 157 17.7%
  • I have quite a few and I'm starting to worry..

Votes: 78 8.8%
  • I have an infestation and I need help..

Votes: 46 5.2%
  • Other..

Votes: 21 2.4%

• Total voters

CJreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any at the moment but had some in the past.
A File Fish did a great job in my 20 but I coudn't put him in the display tank. A wand did a great job frying them there.

CJreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any right now. Had them in the past and a File Fish did a great job in my 20. I couldn't put one in the display tank but a wand did a great job of frying them :)

jk1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What has been the BEST and most effective "tool" that you have used to get rid of aiptasia in your aquarium?
Peppermint shrimp! I fooled around with Aptasia X for a long time but it just keeps the problem at bay it doesn’t solve it. It got to where I was treating 15-20 aptasia twice a week and I said enough is enough. Peppermint shrimp disposed of them overnight. Although I have heard that some have had hit or miss experiences with pep shrimp, mine were spot on.

Voypok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot say NONE and cannot say yes.
I don't see it now , but had several heads, small and large...
I used it a couple of times AiptasiaX - it seems like working, but Aiptasia came back and in addition, it killed a few of my Zoas.
What really helps - it Berghia Nudi's. Those little hairy creatures work slowly, but surely.

markwayts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia anemones are a pest to the nth degree! They almost seemingly appear from nowhere and seem to breed in epic proportions. They are a pain to say the least. :p So in order to be a good steward of our reef aquarium it is up to us to "eliminate" them. But there are so many different ways that claim to get this job done and knowing what works and what doesn't work can be a challenge. There are aiptasia killing wands, aiptasia killing nudis, aiptasia killing juice, aiptasia killing fish and so on and so forth. So today I would like to ask you about your experience with Aiptasia killers!

1. What has been the BEST and most effective "tool" that you have used to get rid of aiptasia in your aquarium?

2. What are all the ways that have worked and have not worked?

BerghiaEatingThreeAiptasia.jpg

berghia nudis eating aiptasia from this zoanthid colony: image via www.saltyunderground.com
I have had good luck with injecting them with boiling hot tap water. Cook em from the inside out.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden Butterfly is the best solution I’ve found.

Peppermints work maybe 1 of 10 times (they aren’t always the right species)

Never had luck with copper bands.

Know people that have had luck with filefish but I haven’t.

Nudibranchs disappear in a few days for me

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had Aptasia, but I have had Majurno Anenomes, though not in catostrophic numbers. I tried DIY kalk paste with some effect, but the best (By Far) has been Frank's F Aptasia.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my experience

Joes juice seemed to work great for small infestations

Aiptasia -X hardly ever killed any except really small ones.

Bought a copperband to eat them, never touched one in the last 5-6 years but my previous one ate a few before giving up on them for frozen food.

Aiptasia eating file fish also never ate one. Has been a model citizen in the reef though

Berghias worked amazing in my 75, took about 2 months to eradicate a fairly decent infestation

Berghias did not take in my 265. Im assuming my wrasses ate them before they could populate enough.

So my 265g is still infested and has been for years but my 75 is aiptasia free.

Ive considered peppermints but if they start going after my coral in the 265g id never be able to get them out without removing all the rock.

Snookhooker74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing beats berghia nudibranchs expensive but they breed readily sometimes lay eggs within days. the hard part is figuring out what to do with them once they have no more aiptasia to eat. then once infestation erradicated, be very careful with new additions, esp if not taking corals off frags first, or adding anything with rock

Scott B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia anemones are a pest to the nth degree! They almost seemingly appear from nowhere and seem to breed in epic proportions. They are a pain to say the least. :p So in order to be a good steward of our reef aquarium it is up to us to "eliminate" them. But there are so many different ways that claim to get this job done and knowing what works and what doesn't work can be a challenge. There are aiptasia killing wands, aiptasia killing nudis, aiptasia killing juice, aiptasia killing fish and so on and so forth. So today I would like to ask you about your experience with Aiptasia killers!

BerghiaEatingThreeAiptasia.jpg

berghia nudis eating aiptasia from this zoanthid colony: image via www.saltyunderground.com
I purchased a 120g 5yr old Reef Tank that was in desperate need of a Rehab. Covered in hair algae and lots of Aptasia. During the move we scraped off what we could. Tank cycled quickly. I put in 6 peppermint shrimp, (which I am down to 1, I think due to a large Pistol Srimp) also a Aptana eating File fish ( that didn't take to aphasia for about a month) also a Copperband Butterfly fish. 2 months later, I might see only a few hiding in the rock holes, but the File fish and Copperband have done an awesome job cleaning up the tank before and after pics for effect

Attachments

• 20210105_193000.jpg
    20210105_193000.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210310_155842_HDR.jpg
    20210310_155842_HDR.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 51

Snookhooker74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing beats berghia expensive but they readily breed and multiply quickly. the hardest part will be finding a place for them once the aiptasia are gone. unless u dont mind letting them starve to death (not cool) then once infestation eradicated, be very careful about what you add, especially if not removing frags from plug, or adding anything with rock

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best tool. Quarantine tank. They’ll grow than I’ll cut the piece of rock right off. Never had aptasia in display tank.
knock on reef

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp! I fooled around with Aptasia X for a long time but it just keeps the problem at bay it doesn’t solve it. It got to where I was treating 15-20 aptasia twice a week and I said enough is enough. Peppermint shrimp disposed of them overnight. Although I have heard that some have had hit or miss experiences with pep shrimp, mine were spot on.
Same experience for me. I still have one or two in the tank that I will get with Aiptasia X, but in my 150G 3-4 peppermint shrimp got rid of the bulk of mine.

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought ONE Berghia, as a little experiment about a month ago. Heard quite a few are needed for an infestation, but I only had 4 or 5 Aiptasia, so said let's see what happens. Berghia re-appeared on my glass this morning, after being mia since introduced. I now have one aiptasia left that I can find. I'd say things a success thus far. Hopeful that it wipes out a few more wee ones I can't see, and I can rehome it in a few weeks ideally.
Been thinking of trying some because everything else failed long term. Do you have any predators in the tank that will eat them? I've heard pep shrimp will devour them quickly - also have some dottyback.

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same experience for me. I still have one or two in the tank that I will get with Aiptasia X, but in my 150G 3-4 peppermint shrimp got rid of the bulk of mine.
My peps have shown absolutely no interest in them. I've heard that a well fed tank will keep them uninterested. Any secret to your success with them? BTW, if you are The REAL LL, I love your stuff :)

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get at least a few per week. I always immediately spot kill them using Aiptasia-X, but they always pop up elsewhere. The Aiptasia-X definitely works well and quick, but I wish I didn’t have to use it so frequently, as I can’t imagine that adding lye to the tank on a regular basis is doing my nitrates any favors.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Addition of a Blue face Kleini butterfly. I could believe how quick several dozen aptasia were no where to be seen and quickly. This fish has been reef safe for me and a model citizen. Other method has been Kalk powder mixed with tank water and lemon juice into a paste and injected into their center core.

Others that have worked and generally work is:

For each method you should turn your flow OFF for 5 mins. before and during the treatment and wait 15 mins. before turning it back ON after the the treatment, including the return pump.

• Lemon Juice - Instead of reaching for your bottle of lemon juice to enhance your glass of water or cup of tea, maybe try it as an Aiptasia exterminator. While wearing gloves, fill a syringe with pure lemon juice and inject it directly into the Aiptasia. Make sure to move slowly to prevent scarring the anemone into its hole.
  • Hydrogen Peroxide - Just like with the lemon juice, fill a syringe and carefully inject a small amount of the solution directly into the disk of the Aiptasia. Be extra careful to not release any hydrogen peroxide into the tank. Not the safest way.
  • Kalkwasser - Also known as calcium hydroxide, kalkwasser is capable of killing Aiptasia. However, I don’t recommend this extermination tactic. In order to work, you must precisely fill the Aiptasia with a concentrated dose. If you try killing too many in this way, you can inadvertently raise your tank pH level, which is no good.
  • Other Methods - Some of the other methods commonly used to eradicate Aiptasia include boiling water, laser light, vinegar, zapping and even super glue. If you’re considering these methods, there’s a better way that’s less dangerous to you, your tank and your bank account.

Kain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried peppermint shrimp. Aptasia x. Joe's juice. None seemed to do anything. Currently got a copper band butterfly and slowly they are disappearing. And he eats when I feed the tank.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A) - ORA aiptasia eating filefish

B) - Things that didn't work, Aiptasia X, Kalk paste & lazer

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back