What's your experience with Aiptasia KILLERS?

Do you currently have aiptasia in your aquarium?

• NONE

Votes: 363 40.9%
  • Very few, maybe one or two..

Votes: 222 25.0%
  • I can see several here and there..

Votes: 157 17.7%
  • I have quite a few and I'm starting to worry..

Votes: 78 8.8%
  • I have an infestation and I need help..

Votes: 46 5.2%
  • Other..

Votes: 21 2.4%

• Total voters

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I only had a few injecting them with lemon juice worked. When they were all over the place Beria didn’t work but peppermint shrimp worked

Bradig326

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia anemones are a pest to the nth degree! They almost seemingly appear from nowhere and seem to breed in epic proportions. They are a pain to say the least. :p So in order to be a good steward of our reef aquarium it is up to us to "eliminate" them. But there are so many different ways that claim to get this job done and knowing what works and what doesn't work can be a challenge. There are aiptasia killing wands, aiptasia killing nudis, aiptasia killing juice, aiptasia killing fish and so on and so forth. So today I would like to ask you about your experience with Aiptasia killers!

1. What has been the BEST and most effective "tool" that you have used to get rid of aiptasia in your aquarium?

2. What are all the ways that have worked and have not worked?

BerghiaEatingThreeAiptasia.jpg

berghia nudis eating aiptasia from this zoanthid colony: image via www.saltyunderground.com
I have had them in the past. The best solution for me was the aptasia eating file fish from ORA.

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The laser has sparked my curiosity. Any positive feedback?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking of trying some because everything else failed long term. Do you have any predators in the tank that will eat them? I've heard pep shrimp will devour them quickly - also have some dottyback.
I don't only the Berghia. One little (1/2 inch?) fella who I was shocked to see make an appearance today. I suspect it's been picking off any small aiptasia along the way , however I did have a few of the pests heads the size of a dime that are now gonzo. Unreal....

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any in my tank or sump, but I have some in my return. My copperband butterfly has taken care of the main tank.

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zap-tasia worked wonders for me.

Almost "too well" in fact.

To the extent that I'm suspicious - was it all too easy? Squirt with some white gooey liquid and wait for them to "pop". A few days later, zero evidence that they were ever there.

And this is from the guy who looked at them for weeks on end, not even realising what they were [Noob error]

Now I'm waiting and watching for the fallout - which I hope doesn't come - but so far so good !

Reefglide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had success with all remedies mentioned. But the one thing I’ve not heard anyone talk about is the Majano Wand. Best not to let them in. My display (180)) is currently free. But if and when one appears the wand is my first choice if I can reach them.

Books

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia anemones are a pest to the nth degree! They almost seemingly appear from nowhere and seem to breed in epic proportions. They are a pain to say the least. :p So in order to be a good steward of our reef aquarium it is up to us to "eliminate" them. But there are so many different ways that claim to get this job done and knowing what works and what doesn't work can be a challenge. There are aiptasia killing wands, aiptasia killing nudis, aiptasia killing juice, aiptasia killing fish and so on and so forth. So today I would like to ask you about your experience with Aiptasia killers!

1. What has been the BEST and most effective "tool" that you have used to get rid of aiptasia in your aquarium?

2. What are all the ways that have worked and have not worked?

BerghiaEatingThreeAiptasia.jpg

berghia nudis eating aiptasia from this zoanthid colony: image via www.saltyunderground.com
I have used a syringe with scolding hot water and injected it directly. Worked and have not seen anymore.

Bradley C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had it pop up seemingly out of nowhere, nothing new into tank for a while, couple of months maybe?
Had bought a pygmy file fish, just because the little guy is cute, didn't know that he might get into it. Didn't' even have the stuff when we adopted him. Never saw him at it.
Peppermint shrimp? Thumbs up, bought 3 for 180, stuff is nowhere to be found. Then again, neither is the 3rd shrimp, ...

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently purchased some live rock and it stands to reason I have a few. I knew that from day one going n and have ordered some bergia to rid me of them. I tried them last time along w peppermint shrimp, and then found out that not all peppermint will eat apastia, but they will eat bergia. Bummer but live and learn what I'd like to ask is has anyone heard of the beltam but from Japan. According to an article I just read they use it there to kill apastaia , even showed a package of it but it was in Japanese. Has anyone else heard of it?

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using nudis and never saw them again. What a huge waste of money ($150) that was. I tried the paste stuff and found that they ALWAYS come back within two weeks. I just don’t know what to do at this point.
Nudibranchs take time I put 50 of them in a hundred and 50 gallon tank. Remember nothing positive in this hobby happens overnight it takes time I tried peppermint shrimp no success. I tried filefish that I have and is huge no result. I tried everything but copperbanded only success came from burgia...

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everybody that has Aptasia popping up from no where that has eradicated in the past check your plumbing pipes that how im dealing with it a second time... very important sucks to break down and check but if not done it will spread again. I know thats my exact problem.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted NONE and 10 minutes later, I am looking at a frag that died a week ago from the coral dip I used, and I see an aiptasia between the dead coral (chalice) and the plug....so, I just dropped the frag/plug in the trash. Hoping not too any more surprises in the tank.

Charlie C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve have Aptasia for a couple of months now. Red Sea Aptasia X does kill them but, as others have said, they continue to appear in different locations in my 125 gal. LFS in my area don’t seem to stock berghia so guess I’ll be ordering them online.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, Aiptasia-x = explosion
Peppermint shrimp from Algae Barn worked until my wrasses ate them
Klein's butterfly did a decent job on accessible ones
matted file fish ate some but could not keep up
Copperbanded butterfly did a great job in all of my tanks. No more aiptasia, BUT they all seem to have an appetite for expensive palys and zoas so there is that.

As Paul B wrote, the secret to getting CBB to survive is not to quarantine them, at least not in the usual sterile quarantine tank. Set up a tank with good live rock, feed them with good quality frozen foods and they will make it just fine. Or just acclimate and plunk them into your display if you dare. I am 2/2 with plunking into the display, 1/1 into a separate tank with live rock and 0/12 with other forms of quarantine.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought ONE Berghia, as a little experiment about a month ago. Heard quite a few are needed for an infestation, but I only had 4 or 5 Aiptasia, so said let's see what happens. Berghia re-appeared on my glass this morning, after being mia since introduced. I now have one aiptasia left that I can find. I'd say things a success thus far. Hopeful that it wipes out a few more wee ones I can't see, and I can rehome it in a few weeks ideally.
Best of luck to you

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did everything right, I thought but still after all the dipping and scrubbing etc I still ended up with them. It seemed like overnight they went from one to thousands. I started with file fish with no success. Then I ordered nudibranks from Reeftown Nidi's and slowly but sherly they have devastated the aptasia. And though I have no patience I ordered a Australian Strippy and he was worth every dollar. I can put a frag with aptasia on it and within minutes he's cleaned it up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back