Whats your favorite battery backup?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at all the battery backup systems before the winter storms start hitting. And I'm wondering what peoples experiences are with them, in your experience/opinion what is the best battery backup for a reef tank?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to distract from your thread OP. Here is my battery back up. I just used heavy duty velcro tape to attach it to the cabinet.

20211012_084251.jpg

Upvote 0

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things aren't cheap but I've always thought they might be good in a place you can't have a gas/propane generator or other back up and you can't use the icecap or vortech batteries.

Especially with multiple 7amp hour batteries connected. Might not run the whole tank but might keep life support going for a while. Not sure if it works with their 10 amp hour battery.

Upvote 0

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things aren't cheap but I've always thought they might be good in a place you can't have a gas/propane generator or other back up and you can't use the icecap or vortech batteries.

Especially with multiple 7amp hour batteries connected. Might not run the whole tank but might keep life support going for a while. Not sure if it works with their 10 amp hour battery.
I have a harbor freight cheap version of this item. Mine will pull 18 amp easily but it's louder than it says. I looked at these. Pretty impressive item.

Upvote 0

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a harbor freight cheap version of this item. Mine will pull 18 amp easily but it's louder than it says. I looked at these. Pretty impressive item.
Correction. At first glance I thought this was an Inverter generator. Oops. Mine is small generator Inverter. Outdoor use only. Lol.

Upvote 0

Fishinabarrel

sCiEncE wILl Win
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people with ecotechs or devices that run on 12V, there is this thread.

I have started this DIY, but still need to buy the actual battery.

Upvote 0

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second using the large deep cycle batteries, they are fairly cheap, easily replaced, and will run 12 volt Pump(s) along time. Using a 12 volt pump eliminates the Inverter, that will consume power, depending on how much you paid for it. Also Splash a little salt water in it and it‘s toast. A generator is fine, but expensive, if you do not have auto start and switch over, more dollars, what are you going to do if out of town?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at all the battery backup systems before the winter storms start hitting. And I'm wondering what peoples experiences are with them, in your experience/opinion what is the best battery backup for a reef tank?

Size 8D industrial battery, plus inverter and DIY automatic switchover when power fails

Upvote 0

jgsolo32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Cube 20 gallon and use a EcoFlow River Pro as a passthrough backup. It's ready to kick in when the power dies. Runs about 140w when in use to run the system.

Upvote 0

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We had a whole house Generac generator installed about a year ago that runs on natural gas. We bought each of our adult kids a Westinghouse 9000 watt generator that runs on propane or gas. My son installed a special transfer switch on his electric meter that allows him to plug his generator directly into his electric panel. All he has to do is flip off what he doesn’t want on in his house. Generator was about $950.00 and the transfer switch was about $1000.00. He has it all set up on the side of his house sitting on cement pavers and in a big plastic cover to protect it from the weather.

My generator turns on automatically but the smaller generators have to be turned on manually and managed. With as much money as some have in their set ups, a small generator would be a good investment even if the generator sat in the garage and you had 25 gallons of gas on hand.

Upvote 0
Back