DIY Ecotech Battery Backup for $60

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I’m going to be showing you how to make a battery backup with a group 24 deep cycle marine battery, which cost roughly $80, and are rated at 75 ah. You might be asking yourself why such a large battery, when the standard 18AH battery can last 20 hours on a MP60, 36 on a MP40, and 72 hours on a mp10. A 75ah battery backup could power a single mp10 for 300 hours, or roughly 2 weeks, which is ridiculous. But if you have 2 mp60’s, a 18AH battery backup might not be enough, giving you less than 10 hours, and if you are running a Vectra pump off the backup, it probably won’t be enough. I have no experience, but it looks like a M1 might be expected to run around 2 hours at full power and a L1 around 1.5 hours, but 8 hours on this battery-- so this size battery definitely has it’s uses. But if you just want a cheap alternative to the ecotech battery backup to run a few smaller powerheads, I’ll show you how to do that as well for $60 or less

The ecotech battery backup consists of a battery, a float charger, and a few wires- so that is all we have to replicate

So for the battery:

I’ve got 2 options here a 75AH battery for around $80 which is what I’m going to be working with today, or 18AH battery for about $30, which is what ecotech uses, but you can choose any 12v sealed lead acid battery

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-EXP12180-Rechargeable-Battery-Bolts/dp/B00A82A3RK

We also need a box

You can buy battery boxes for $5-15. What I have here is a group 24 box that fits the big battery, but they also sell a size that will fit a 18 amp battery, or you could probably go to Walmart and find a snapware container to mount your battery in. Or, if you wait until we get to the charger part, I’ll give you another idea.

Group 25 box

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-HM300BKS-Snap-Top-Automotive-Batteries/dp/B004W5SFYW/

18 ah battery box

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Corporation-9082-1-Small-Battery/dp/B0000B12YQ/

or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004171MOQ/

Next we need to charge our battery

We can use float charger just like ecotech does, and these are about $12

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01822CSA2/

Or you can use an old UPS, which has the added benefit of providing a limited amount of 120v AC power- Just make sure you don’t plug anything in to the battery backup that is not critical or draws too much power- definitely not heaters- maybe a 50-100w heater if you have a nano tank and heat is very important. This one could probably run a 100w heater for 5 or more hours. Also, depending on the ups you choose, they can test the battery periodically, and some can even email you when you need to replace the battery or when you lose power. Ecotechs battery backup certainly doesn’t do that.

You can connect the UPS to a much larger battery, like I’ve done here, and this is what I run my modem, router and tunze powerheads off of. Or you can use the intended battery size for the UPS, but in order to match the power capacity of the ecotech it will have to be a larger UPS, like this one. The problem with many of the larger UPS is that they run on 2 12v batteries in series, so they are actually running 24v, which we can’t use. Unless you are running 2 identical powerheads, then you can run 1 off each battery. But you can’t draw the power down unevenly by say running only a mp40 off one battery. Otherwise when the UPS goes to recharge the batteries one will be dead and one will be fully charged, and you’ll damage the battery. You can find larger UPS that run off a single 12v battery, they are typically the older ones, so ebay will be your friend. But smaller UPSs that run a single 12v battery usually around 8ah are very common, and is what I’ll be demonstrating with- specifically this one, which is ugly and was going in the garbage anyway. By using the same size battery, we are going to be using the existing case, so no battery box is needed

Next we are going to need the connecting wires and plugs

Panel/Chassis Mount Female DC Power Connector 2.1mm X 5.5mm + Waterproof Cap

Panel/Chassis Mount Female DC Power Connector 1.35mm X 3.5mm + Waterproof Cap

5pair 12V 5.5x2.1mm Male + Female DC Power Socket Jack Connector Cable Plug Wire

Ecotech connecting wires with inline fuse

https://store2.ecotechmarine.com/co...p/products/fused-vortech-battery-backup-cable

or 12v to 36v booster

https://store2.ecotechmarine.com/collections/battery-backup/products/vectra-battery-backup-booster

Those are the parts you need. You’ll also need a few tools:

A drill and drill bit, a soldering iron and solder, wire strippers, electrical connectors, electrical tape/paste/heatshrink and some scrap wire- you can use an old power cord. And a multimeter is helpful.

Assembly: refer to video for these steps, but here is the short version.

If using a float charger, lop off the existing connectors and replace with a dc plug. Install the panel mount dc plugs in your battery box or UPS. Make battery leads using either spade connectors or terminal rings, depending on the battery. Solder or otherwise connect all positive connections within your box or UPS. Connect up your battery, float charger, and powerheads. That’s it!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome sauce thank u

Was thinking of doing one with two of these batteries u think they would work

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry forgot

I think the first photo batt would work better then this one

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see any info on the second one, but the first one would definitely work, and for a really long time!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need a different charger like a deep cycle charger? Or would the one u attached still work?

My plan is to run my two return pumps at 50% and my two mp10’s at 50% along with a heater

That’s why I’m a run two batteries in parallel

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you make another one of these I recommend using two different conectors or at least switching the conectors for the power and ground so u can not hook the negative up to the positive and vice versa

Good job man and thanks for the video

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you make another one of these I recommend using two different conectors or at least switching the conectors for the power and ground so u can not hook the negative up to the positive and vice versa

Great DIY thank you

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need a different charger like a deep cycle charger? Or would the one u attached still work?

My plan is to run my two return pumps at 50% and my two mp10’s at 50% along with a heater

The one attached would work- a better one will recharge the batteries faster.

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I din't do this, but just switch the spade connectors direction, then you can't screw up the polarity.

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Make sure the 2 batteries are the same or at least the same size, otherwise problems will arise.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do we know if the vortech pump throttling themselves back to 30% when a power outage is realized happens at the controller?
Meaning will this happen regardless of the backup source or will they continue to run the scheduled program if not using their backup system?

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we know if the vortech pump throttling themselves back to 30% when a power outage is realized happens at the controller?
Meaning will this happen regardless of the backup source or will they continue to run the scheduled program if not using their backup system?
Everything outside the controller is "dumb" in an ecotech setup. The relay that decides when to use backup power is in the controller itself. There is no meaningful difference between a DIY battery backup and the ecotech one, so the ecotech powerhead will react exactly the same. Now if you are using a different power head that is not true, tunze or gyre for example. In those cases you would need a exterior relay or safety connector.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome and perfect walk through. Thank you. Don't suppose you know of how/what to use to test when the battery needs to be replaced (like how the UPS's can do that testing/determination)? Thanks again

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome and perfect walk through. Thank you. Don't suppose you know of how/what to use to test when the battery needs to be replaced (like how the UPS's can do that testing/determination)? Thanks again

I do not know how ups do it. I know how to check if a battery if it is in really bad shape-if, after being fully charged and the voltage is below 12.6 or it can't hold a steady voltage for a day with no load on it then it needs replacing

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ups can lie about this as well. I’ve got a fairly expensive apc at work that says it’s A ok, but pull the power plug and it pukes. Running the onboard diagnostics shows 100% battery health.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how ups do it. I know how to check if a battery if it is in really bad shape-if, after being fully charged and the voltage is below 12.6 or it can't hold a steady voltage for a day with no load on it then it needs replacing

Thx, then I could just make part of my monthly routine to voltage test the battery with charger disconnected.

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, then I could just make part of my monthly routine to voltage test the battery with charger disconnected.

That'll work. Batteries should last 3-5 years- so if you are at 5 then I would just replace it though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back