DIY Ecotech Battery Backup for $60

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guess I should have been more specific. I was mainly interested in where you got the little project box and voltage meter but you answered most of my questions.

I design and 3D print all my housings, but you could also use an off the shelf one and drill holes

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also curious about this
Definitely something to be cognizant of, but not to much of a concern. Oxygen and hydrogen are produce when charging, but I -believe- that the slower the battery is charged the less is produced. It might be that the rate slows but the same amount is produce over the charge- not sure. But with these small chargers there is basically no way to build up enough gas as long as you don't keep it in a sealed container. And obviously oxygen and hydrogen are not dangerous as long as the levels are not to high.

Generally the battery will also just remain charged- ie they get used very infrequently, and are just float charged a tiny amount. I ran mine for 4 years and basically never had to top off the water, so clearly it wasn't doing much charging.

If I had kids/safety was a huge concern, I would probably use a gel deep cycle marine, as they are sealed. But they are also more expensive.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this correct?

Jack Connector sizes:
  • 1.3 male connector fits into Vortech and Vectra controllers
  • 1.3 female connector to connect Vortech & Vectra cables to junction box / battery box
  • 2.1mm male and female connectors for charger ac power to junction box
I need to DIY the ecotech cables so what size fuse per cable? I have a 12v to 24v buck converter to connect to the Vectra...but what fuse do I load on this line?

Thank you,
Isaac

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this correct?

Jack Connector sizes:
  • 1.3 male connector fits into Vortech and Vectra controllers
  • 1.3 female connector to connect Vortech & Vectra cables to junction box / battery box
  • 2.1mm male and female connectors for charger ac power to junction box
I need to DIY the ecotech cables so what size fuse per cable? I have a 12v to 24v buck converter to connect to the Vectra...but what fuse do I load on this line?

Thank you,
Isaac

Ecotech sells spare battery backup cables for $5 each.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech sells spare battery backup cables for $5 each.
Thank you, and yes I understand that. Although I need the connectors this weekend. And I can’t find any specific detail about the connector sizes or fuse sizes. Hoping someone can just list out the tech specs of the connectors, and fuses.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in camp Tunze as they are much bulkier but simpler to have as a near commercial back up system.

I have two 12v Deep Cycle North Star hooked up to a 24v Noco marine charger. If power goes out, automotive relay DPDT goes to 24v battery and circulation continues at same voltage. It simply switches sources from a Puls 24v dc din rail power supply to a 24v battery set up. All the Tunze backup powerheads are 24v max.

There is a closed loop feature on Puls commercial power supply to notify if puls psu is down by a breakout box.

Ecotech is a variety of voltages as you mentioned. The mp40s appear to have odd ball 32v power supply. I could be wrong but 12v flow could be reduced on power failure which might crash tank too. Just slower.

Form factor of mp40 is compelling for the addtional complexity. It uses a 32v odd ball chinese psu and still sells it at 400 usd. Switch is likely in driver unit, bit may only take 12v input, so from engineering standpoint less desirable. Replacement wetside drivers are out of stock. Hmmm My only ecotech product, a l1 vectra crashed hard and went back to loose rotor ac pumps

I think I will get a cca tester for batteries to catch them failing on age.

20210907_221703.jpg 20210907_221713.jpg

Last edited:

Paul.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have speaker wire running under my house approximately 25 feet from my garage to my aquarium closet. To avoid worrying about off gassing and to avoid crowding my aquarium closet I’d like to put the backup battery with the charger in my garage. This is to power a vectra m1. I will need to purchase the vectra battery booster cable. Can I connect the battery (in the garage) to the speaker wire and then connect the vectra battery booster cable in my aquarium closet to the speaker wire And then to the pump controller? Thanks

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have speaker wire running under my house approximately 25 feet from my garage to my aquarium closet. To avoid worrying about off gassing and to avoid crowding my aquarium closet I’d like to put the backup battery with the charger in my garage. This is to power a vectra m1. I will need to purchase the vectra battery booster cable. Can I connect the battery (in the garage) to the speaker wire and then connect the vectra battery booster cable in my aquarium closet to the speaker wire And then to the pump controller? Thanks
Without knowing the gauge of the wire I can't really tell you if it would be OK, but it looks like if it is 12 gauge or larger wire it would definitely be fine: you can mess with the numbers here: https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop
Another option if you don't want the maintenance and possibility of off gassing from a deep cycle marine battery is something like this:
It cost about $100 extra though

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, do you know which batteries are needed for a Blau 12KDC and 24 hours ?

Drew256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DBR_Reef, I followed your instructions about three months ago. I live in Fort Myers. We were without power for five days. I didn't lose a single fish or coral. Thanks for the directions!

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can anyone confirm that the center pin that plugs into the MP40 control unit from the 12 volt backup battery is positive polarity? It seems that's the configuration for the wall charger barrel connector, but I'd like to confirm before getting polarity backwards.

I have a cable on hand that I can repurpose and would just need to wire a fuse in line for it.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone confirm that the center pin that plugs into the MP40 control unit from the 12 volt backup battery is positive polarity? It seems that's the configuration for the wall charger barrel connector, but I'd like to confirm before getting polarity backwards.

I have a cable on hand that I can repurpose and would just need to wire a fuse in line for it.

Can confirm its center positive.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing the gauge of the wire I can't really tell you if it would be OK, but it looks like if it is 12 gauge or larger wire it would definitely be fine: you can mess with the numbers here: https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop
Another option if you don't want the maintenance and possibility of off gassing from a deep cycle marine battery is something like this:
It cost about $100 extra though

Old tread but what about lithium battery conversion?

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old tread but what about lithium battery conversion?
Absolutely! Easiest way would probably be a LiFePO battery with built in BMS like this:

Then get a battery charger with lithium setting and everything else should be the same. Obviously cost is significantly higher.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back