DIY Ecotech Battery Backup for $60

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didn't need it to be float charged could I just cut the connector off the ecotech cable, put terminal connectors on and hook them to the battery. Also how would I be able to tell positive and negative on the cut cable?

Thanks

JasonC80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tutorial, I used this info to build my own battery backup and it works great.

On ebay I found 2.1mm plugs that had about a 5' wire, so got those for a bit less soldering.
Group 31 marine battery locally and battery box from amazon
Battery tender for charging
One inline ATO main fuse
A 4 fuse ATO fuse block from ebay
Some Chicago nuts to secure the fuse box and battery tender to the top of the battery box
Heatshrink around all the electrical connections

This should run my two MP10's and the Vectra pump for days.

20190821_212942 (2).jpg

OP
OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didn't need it to be float charged could I just cut the connector off the ecotech cable, put terminal connectors on and hook them to the battery. Also how would I be able to tell positive and negative on the cut cable?

Thanks
You kindof have to have a battery float charged, otherwise it will self drain. But all you need to figure out which wire is positive/negative is a multi-meter- which are free at harbor freight. set it to resistance and place one probe on the outside of the dc plug, and the other on the wires- whichever wire has zero resistance is the negative. to double check the positive place the probe inside the dc plug (can be hard to do) and touch the wires- the zero resistance wire is now the positive.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You kindof have to have a battery float charged, otherwise it will self drain. But all you need to figure out which wire is positive/negative is a multi-meter- which are free at harbor freight. set it to resistance and place one probe on the outside of the dc plug, and the other on the wires- whichever wire has zero resistance is the negative. to double check the positive place the probe inside the dc plug (can be hard to do) and touch the wires- the zero resistance wire is now the positive.

Thanks I ended up finding an old dc transformer power cord with the 1.3mm jack and did exactly like you said to find the positive. I then cut it, wired a fuse into the positive and then wired it up to a 105 amp hour deep cycle battery. The tank is in my small bedroom and I’m not to comfortable charging a battery in my room, especially in a confined space under my stand with other electronics. I heard that they gas when they charge and it’s flammable. I figure I’ll check the voltage with a multimeter every month or two and charge it when it goes down to 12.4-12.5 volts, is this ok? Dorian hit last week and I was out of power for two days and it worked great.

funk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get hold of the ecotech fused cable, googling around they appeared to be recalled at one point too because there were circumstances they could overheat in?

Has anyone used inline fuse holders instead, if so what rating of fuse did you use between the battery and pump controller? I've seen some tidy inline mini blade fuse holders in a few different ratings.

Presume you have just used a single fuse on the positive rail between the battery and pump controller?

Last edited:

funk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are the connectors on the vortech battery backup cable?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the connector sizes @DBR_Reef !

I just finished my rendition of this. I do like how you have the battery sealed up, but my battery is well separated (behind a wall) so it wasn't necessary. I also threw in a voltage meter to monitor the remaining battery life as well as whether the trickle charger is functioning.

Cables from left to right:
Trickle charger
12v battery
Ecotech Output #1
Ecotech Output #2

The battery cable is short just so I could fit it into the photo. In use that cable will be 6ft, and screw directly to a 100ah deep cycle battery.

IMG_7663.HEIC.jpeg

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just finished my rendition of this. I do like how you have the battery sealed up, but my battery is well separated (behind a wall) so it wasn't necessary. I also threw in a voltage meter to monitor the remaining battery life as well as whether the trickle charger is functioning.

Trickle charger
12v battery
Ecotech Output #1
Ecotech Output #2

The battery cable is short just so I could fit it into the photo. In use that cable will be 6ft, and screw directly to a 100ah deep cycle battery.

IMG_7663.HEIC.jpeg
image.jpg

I am still waiting for the battery meter on mine, and should be done.

Last edited:

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that the non sealed batteries like the one used in the video produce gas when charging. What are the risks, how did you address them?

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trickle charger
12v battery
Ecotech Output #1
Ecotech Output #2

IMG_7663.HEIC.jpeg

Would you mind sharing some more details about your rendition? I'd love to try and mimic your design.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing some more details about your rendition? I'd love to try and mimic your design.

What details do you need? The jack connector sizes are on the first page of this thread. It is an off the shelf voltage meter and battery charger, and the vortech cables are from ecotech. Wiring is simple: all positives chained, all negatives chained.

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What details do you need? The jack connector sizes are on the first page of this thread. It is an off the shelf voltage meter and battery charger, and the vortech cables are from ecotech. Wiring is simple: all positives chained, all negatives chained.

Sorry guess I should have been more specific. I was mainly interested in where you got the little project box and voltage meter but you answered most of my questions.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back