What's your favorite fish for eating bubble algae?

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bubble algae problem. I have an emerald crab and he's not making a dent. Does anyone have a favorite fish that eats bubble algae? I know fish can be hit or miss, but I'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks,
Neal

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find a combined approach to work best for me.
I used a Foxface and two Emerald crabs...

Now they are nicely under control, not fully gone, but not influencing corals any more.

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of the tank makes a big difference too. I heard that a Vlamingii tang mows bubble algae down. Someone also told me once that a Desjardini Sailfin was good with it as well. Neither, like the manatee, would be very good for a small tank though :p

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface or Sailfin always work well for me, but you must have a suitable tank size for either or, they get pretty big.

I use to take rock from my frag tank with BA or HA on it, add it to my MT and they would immediately start eating it and it would be spotless a few hrs later.

OP
OP
NealH

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, manatees! That's one I hadn't considered! It's a smallish tank--Reefer 250 which is about 54 gallons without the sump. I would need something somewhat small, but I could always rehome a fish if it got too big. I'm on the lookout for a small foxfish locally.

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface or Sailfin always work well for me, but you must have a suitable tank size for either or, they get pretty big.

I use to take rock from my frag tank with BA or HA on it, add it to my MT and they would immediately start eating it and it would be spotless a few hrs later.

What do u feed a foxface after they wipe out all the algae in the tank? Mine has cleaned the whole tank in a week now I'm not sure what to feed him

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally they will eat about anything, I've always found them to be pigs. Nori, lrs herbavoir, lrs frenzy or rods food is great as well

Mikemccafe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge bubble algae issue, started with two emerald crabs no improvement, bumped it up to eight and then added a rabbit fish. Poof BA gone, and everyone is still happy . I was thinking about breaking down the aqua scape and manually removing the BA but I didn't want to disturb everything that was growing happily was thinking about Vibrant to try and nuke the BA but wasn't convinced it would solve my problem

Tomisue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is a Vibrant? please be specific. what kind of Fox face has worked for you?
Vibrant is an additive, it has bacteria and maybe peroxide. It is made to rid your tank of algae. I add it at water changes or once a week. 1 ml per 10 gallons. There is a thread on here about it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 39 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back