Whats your favorite "unpopular/uncommon" Tank Creature?

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tunicates. I have several species that came in as hitchhikers ranging from small single and colonial varieties to large ones over an inch in length. Several species seem to be propagating as well…always finding them in new places

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think sponges are misunderstood. Not that I understand them any better than anyone else. Considering how important they are to wild reefs I feel as though they are a missing piece in our aquariums somehow.
Yeah I agree with you there when I first got into the hobby there was quite often orange sponges for sale now I hardly ever see them in any fish shops as I'm a bit of a traveller who never sticks to one lfs because I am living on a wee island compared with you guys and girl's in the USA

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Mysid shrimp!
Besides functioning like a “pod” (grazing on algae and detritus, serving as live fish food, rapidly breeding in our tanks), I adore their clumsy swimming style!
1641367296598.jpeg

Last edited:

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing odd really, but I keep snakelock anemones. Got them a while ago from someone else's tank. I believe they're actually a Mediterranean species, but they thrive in my tank. Looking great and multiplying like crazy. The only time they walk is after splitting and never more than a few inches. It's hard to get their colors on camera, but they are gorgeous. Pinkish main color, green/yellow at the base of the tentacles and blue/purple tips.
20220105_084148.jpg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing odd really, but I keep snakelock anemones. Got them a while ago from someone else's tank. I believe they're actually a Mediterranean species, but they thrive in my tank. Looking great and multiplying like crazy. The only time they walk is after splitting and never more than a few inches. It's hard to get their colors on camera, but they are gorgeous. Pinkish main color, green/yellow at the base of the tentacles and blue/purple tips.
20220105_084148.jpg
Wow!!! Are you in the US?

CompletelyClueless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot me but I think aiptasia are kind of pretty. Wish they didn't sting corals!

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our decorator crab has been a huge hit. They have a bad rep because they take corals and well decorate themselves. I mean if you go into it knowing they will grab what they can and accept that they are a fascinating and interesting tank inhabitant.

Watching it creep around the tank covered in random stuff is fun. Its also a very interactive feeder and comes right up to the tongs when I target feed it. They are cheap to buy and easy to take care of so an easy win.
I'm all for this!

love decorator crabs!

OP
OP
SlugSnorter

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s this guy in your tank? Does he do well in a reef? What other fish do you have? I’ve wanted one for a while but I haven’t actually heard any direct stories about them, just ones that have been passed around
lobsters are not reef safe, they will eat most fish and harm some corals. they are better for FOLWERs with agressive fish or in tanks by themselves

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lobsters are not reef safe, they will eat most fish and harm some corals. they are better for FOLWERs with agressive fish or in tanks by themselves
Those smaller ones should be fine with fish that aren't small or bottom dwelling. It will mostly act in self defense unless it's starving. Never heard of them being corallivores but maybe if they are hungry enough they might. The main issue is you will never see it. Everyone I've hard of having one says they didn't see it until they break the tank down or move rocks.

Nickolas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elephant slug, such a cutie, used to love seeing him roam around the tank and disappear, eventually he got in my sump and its been a year or so since i last saw him :,c

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this abalone (Hailotis asinina) back in 2017 and everyone always liked watching it cruise around the tank. It was besties with a yellow watchman goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus) that was in the tank. The abalone would go up in the corner of the tank and the goby would perch in between the abalone and the glass almost everyday. Very cool behavior IMO.

fuzzy racer.jpg

abalone 1.jpg

abalone 3.jpg

abalone 2.jpg

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this abalone (Hailotis asinina) back in 2017 and everyone always liked watching it cruise around the tank. It was besties with a yellow watchman goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus) that was in the tank. The abalone would go up in the corner of the tank and the goby would perch in between the abalone and the glass almost everyday. Very cool behavior IMO.

fuzzy racer.jpg

abalone 1.jpg

abalone 3.jpg

abalone 2.jpg

Abalone has been high on my wish list since I started my first tank, but they seem very hard to find and these days I just don't have the algae to support one. Super cool creature!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abalone has been high on my wish list since I started my first tank, but they seem very hard to find and these days I just don't have the algae to support one. Super cool creature!
They are very cool creatures. Mine definitely had a personality and would let you touch it, pet it. It would come onto your hand. Very curious animal. I will be getting another one when the time is right.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back