What's your rarest fish?

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably safer to buy from a local dealer and save on shipping.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so rare in stores but rare to have doing well despite major hurdles is my Achilles tang. He was almost dead at the LFS, suffered one of the most massive ich infestations I've witnessed and is flourishing in my 180. Had him for about 14 months now, and in that time he's been moved four-five times without suffering from stress.

My next rarest(not rare) would be my very large Magnificent fox face. Ordered the fish direct through a friend not knowing the size of the fish I would receive. He it about 8" and I've been having issues keeping/getting him fat. He seems to be very passive and uncoordinated compared to my hippo tang and trigger that devour all the food :confused:

I may go for some of the higher end common fairy/flasher wrasses like the Lineatus, Rhomboid or flames but in all honesty those wrasses don't do much for me. I tend to favor the more "functional" wrasses that eat pests that may be on corals such as yellow wrasses, melanarus, possums, even leopards.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping to find a wholesaler there. No experience with collection techniques.
Cheapest to buy straight from the diver. Depends on what size you want. Most guarantee person to get from would be Rufus. http://www.kaiohi.com/. Sometimes Coral Fish Hawaii has some. I've had friends catch a bunch that were in the $250-400 range. Logistics would be a nightmare. You would have to have it packed the day you leave. Can't really leave it in a bucket in your hotel room.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then u got ripped off.I bought one of these sold as a green chromis for five bucks.It looks just like the one in the picture.

It was a joke (maybe not a funny one, but a joke nonetheless)!

Back