Whelp I think my feather duster replicated I think?

TTipsyDragon

Everyones Favorite Reefing Dragon
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2024
Messages
339
Reaction score
329
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I have tons of baby feather dusters now. Don't know how since I only have 1 in my tank. Photos are blurry because they are in hard to photograph spots. It's about 10mm spread of their feathers so far.

1000003497.jpg


1000003495.jpg
 
Its hard to tell in the photos and I have no idea your experience level, so I’m sorry if this is insulting - are you sure they aren’t aiptasia?

I do think dusters can reproduce asexually, but it is rare and physically difficult so most common observations of reproduction in our tanks involves a community spawning event which requires more than one parent.

There’s a great article here with more details:https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-invertebrates-featherdusters-in-the-aquarium/
 
Its hard to tell in the photos and I have no idea your experience level, so I’m sorry if this is insulting - are you sure they aren’t aiptasia?

I do think dusters can reproduce asexually, but it is rare and physically difficult so most common observations of reproduction in our tanks involves a community spawning event which requires more than one parent.

There’s a great article here with more details:https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-invertebrates-featherdusters-in-the-aquarium/
No problem, definitely not aiptasia. They have tubes and retract quickly with the slightest movement. The feathers are even the same color as the parent.
 
Its hard to tell in the photos and I have no idea your experience level, so I’m sorry if this is insulting - are you sure they aren’t aiptasia?

I do think dusters can reproduce asexually, but it is rare and physically difficult so most common observations of reproduction in our tanks involves a community spawning event which requires more than one parent.

There’s a great article here with more details:https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-invertebrates-featherdusters-in-the-aquarium/
What's interesting about the article is they said it would spawn right next to each other. These are everywhere in my sump and next to a return head
 
What's interesting about the article is they said it would spawn right next to each other. These are everywhere in my sump and next to a return head
Right, the way I read it - when they reproduce asexually they should be right next to each other. But sexual reproduction they actually have a free swimming larval stage which can result in them popping up all over the tank. So it would seem you had at least 2. Maybe a super lucky hitchhiker?
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new