When are fish going to be available again?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is a difficult question to answer but I was wondering maybe someone with some insight into the wholesale markets with shipping, supply, etc etc all that goes into it could offer some insight.

Can a brother get a powder blue tang?> the answer is no. :(

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wholesalers have lots of fish. But since there is such a vacancy it's going to take a few shipments to get all caught up. Just like TP. For the longest time there was none. Now there is plenty again.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They have powder blue tangs listed for $75.

Bradig326

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine vendor that I have dealt with usually has 7- 9 pages of availability. These days it's about 1.5

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope when supplies return to normal the prices do as well. Was more shocked at the $60.00 royal gramma than I was at the lack of fish.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know if you check stock at places like LiveAquaria everything is still showing as out of stock. Some vendors seem to have more than others.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a lot of societal stability to successfully transport live animals across the world for sale with secure timely links on each leg of transport.

I do not expect things to return to the level of normalcy required until after the election in November so perhaps next year. Perhaps never.

Last edited:

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not expect things to return to the level of normalcy required until after the election in November so perhaps next year. Perhaps never.
One of the reasons why I got back into breeding...

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wholesaler gets less frequent shipments of fish. Sometimes they are big shipments with lots of variety. Sometimes they are small shipments. They always sell out shockingly fast, even though prices have been raised to cover the increased cost of shipping.

Tangs specifically have been higher costs and less variety than usual. I think we're not allowed to talk about wholesaler prices here but lets just say wholesale prices on Tangs currently are at least as high as retail prices were pre-covid. Probably costs more to ship them or something (bag size?)

Predicting the future is hard, but until the world opens back up and all the city people stop rioting I have a hard time imagining air travel returning to the levels that gave us the previous costs for air freight. And the longer it takes to return to normal, the greater the chances that these new rates become the new normal.

I have the same concern about FedEx and UPS current "no refunds" policy. Are they really gonna go back to normal after the shutdown or just quietly keep their current policy?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs's have plenty just quite a bit more than before, like almost double the price on some. Luckily my fish dont die and my tank is maxed. If I was starting a new tank now I would probably wait till variety came back and prices came down. My lfs told me most are coming from Hawaii. This is in Socal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back