when can i get a bta

tracereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone always says “wait 6 months to get an anemone” i know they need mature systems but i feel like my tank (2 months old) is perfectly capable of processing ammonia/ nitrite and even nitrate(i’m running a refugium) so how do i know that my tank is ready for a bta? i feel like 6 months is just overkill.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When parameters aren’t constantly fluctuating you can get one. Which is at the 6+ month old mark. It doesn’t come down to your tank being able to process ammonia and nitrite, it should do that after the cycle with any live stock

OP
OP
tracereefer

tracereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When parameters aren’t constantly fluctuating you can get one. Which is at the 6+ month old maleZ It doesn’t come down to your tank being able to process ammonia and nitrite, it should do that after the cycle with any live stock

by parameters do you mean nitrate and phosphate? i’m assuming cal/all/mag doesn’t really matter to an anemone considering they don’t use any of those nutrients

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months, IMO, isn’t long enough. Unless you’ve got lots of reef tank experience, I’d wait. You’d be surprised what month 3, month 4 and month 5 will bring. Anemones a fussy. They don’t like change.

But to help you: how big is your tank?
What are your current parameters?
What kind of lighting?
Do you have sand on your bed?

OP
OP
tracereefer

tracereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon tank 20 gallon sump

i’ll test parameters when i get home

fluval marine led 3.0

1 inch sandbed

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by parameters do you mean nitrate and phosphate? i’m assuming cal/all/mag doesn’t really matter to an anemone considering they don’t use any of those nutrients
This is why I’d wait. The uncertainty. Alk is extremely important for everything in your tank. Too high or too low of anything will affect your tank.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon tank 20 gallon sump

i’ll test parameters when i get home

fluval marine led 3.0

1 inch sandbed
What were your parameters last time testing? I’m sure you have some sort of idea. Remember that your parameters don’t need to be perfect but stable is key. If you have pH or alk swings, your anemone may get angry. I’ve seen them deflate their tentacles. Spill out their insides. Walk into powerheads.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct

OP
OP
tracereefer

tracereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were your parameters last time testing? I’m sure you have some sort of idea. Remember that your parameters don’t need to be perfect but stable is key. If you have pH or alk swings, your anemone may get angry. I’ve seen them deflate their tentacles. Spill out their insides. Walk into powerheads.

testing rn :
ca:410

alk: 7.2 (has been very stable at 7 for a month now)

mag: 1300

nitrate: 10ish (using api kit for nitrates, prob not very accurate. need to get a salifert)

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these aren't the answers your looking for but I would recommend you wait it out. Anemones don't do well in new tanks, there are countless threads on R2R from people who bought anemones too early and couldn't figure out why they were dying

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these aren't the answers your looking for but I would recommend you wait it out. Anemones don't do well in new tanks, there are countless threads on R2R from people who bought anemones too early and couldn't figure out why they were dying
I was given a sebae nem when my tank was around 3 months or so. It was free so why not. It looked ok for a week but then started walking around my tank. Tentacles would deflate at times. Then it started spilling its guts. I ended up giving it away. My tank was stable but I had some alk swings because my ATO wasn’t working properly.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because your parameters are good now doesn’t mean they’ll be the same in a week. If you think you can get one then get it, just know that we warned you to wait 6 month mark.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because your parameters are good now doesn’t mean they’ll be the same in a week. If you think you can get one then get it, just know that we warned you to wait 6 month mark.
I think I see people asking for anemone help a few times a week. And in a lot of those cases, it’s a young tank. That’s why I also ask people to be patient. There’s no rushing anything in this hobby. And thanks @James M. You’ve helped me a lot on this forum. I’d take your advice any day. ;)

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I see people asking for anemone help a few times a week. And in a lot of those cases, it’s a young tank. That’s why I also ask people to be patient. There’s no rushing anything in this hobby. And thanks @James M. You’ve helped me a lot on this forum. I’d take your advice any day. ;)
Thanks Scott. When I was a beginner in the hobby I bought a nem and it completely nuked my 60 gallon (4 months old.)This was before I found reef2reef, I try to make sure people don’t make the mistake I did.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Scott. When I was a beginner in the hobby I bought a nem and it completely nuked my 60 gallon (4 months old.)This was before I found reef2reef, I try to make sure people don’t make the mistake I did.
I never smelled a dead nem before. But I’ve heard it’s something you don’t forget.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they do not use them as far as we know they definatly affect their health and behavior. If water conditions are not goo they will move more trying to find proper conditions often releasing into the water column if bad enough and then getting sucked into pumps.
Personally I would refuse to sell you an anemone with your tank that knew without knowing more. For instance; Did you use fully cured live rock or dry rock when setting up your tank? Is this your first salt water tank? Do you have good test kits? API are known to be pretty poor? Do you know you ALK, Ca, Mag, & nitrate levels? One reason they RO better in established tanks is they like nitrate in their water.

Last edited:

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is about patients. Don’t rush into getting things. I’ve had nems before and in my case one died and sold the other one. I don’t know anyone that knows more about nems than @James M when I was at 2 months I was dealing with bad hair algae then the next month my alk was reading 14 for what ever reason then after that I got ich. Now that my tank is mature I got rid of my nem and getting into sps and come to find out all my montis are dying from nudibranches. There’s always something new going on with my tank lol

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back