When did the BUYER become responsible for shipping delays?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller should be responsible for insurance.
Why should the seller eat the cost of insurance?

In any case most shippers will not insure this type of livestock.

The buyer did his part and paid money for a living coral now it's up to the seller to deliver that.
Unfortunately, if the loss is not insured or the shipper denies the claim and it is not the sellers fault, there is little recourse.

It sucks but is a risk of this type of transaction.

Sometimes in business the seller has to eat the cost of something they cant control like death due to a delay in shipping.

They don’t have to eat the cost, but some may as a courtesy. It also depends on the agreed upon terms.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just include it in the base price if you want... It's a business operating expense imo. So in a roundabout way : yes, possibly.
Just wanted to make sure you were not expecting to have to pay for it in the cost of the goods or as a shipping extra.

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately, if the loss is not insured or the shipper denies the claim and it is not the sellers fault, there is little recourse.

They don’t have to eat the cost, but some may as a courtesy. It also depends on the agreed upon terms.
I do quite a bit of buying and selling on another online form. If the item I sold is lost or damaged by the shipping company that's on me. If I didn't buy insurance ( btw its almost impossible to actually get USPS or any other shipping company to pay out a claim) I refund the buyer or replace the item. I also own a well pump business and if I fail to deliver on the deal that was agreed upon I again eat the cost. It's good business. Insurance is cheap, if you decide to purchase it, add a extra 5 bucks to the price of the item if your the seller. Ether way the buyer needs to be made whole. If not, a charge back needs to happen and the seller's name needs posted.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree, , , we pay premium rates for shipping

Buyers responsibility- Payment and correct address listed
Seller- packing, shipping and provide tracking
Shipper: Handling, expedite, shipping/delivery confirmation and meet expected delivery time

OP
OP
UMALUM

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ yeah You might want to entertain us with that sellers email

I get all of my stock from either DrReef or KPAquatics…
Less grief, better livestock
No doubt, this was my order from Phillip. IMG_20240417_180812.jpg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do quite a bit of buying and selling on another online form. If the item I sold is lost or damaged by the shipping company that's on me.
That is your choice though.

If I didn't buy insurance ( btw its almost impossible to actually get USPS or any other shipping company to pay out a claim) I refund the buyer or replace the item.
That is commendable.

Ether way the buyer needs to be made whole. If not, a charge back needs to happen and the seller's name needs posted.
Only if those were the agreed upon terms of the purchase.

FWIW a chargeback without specified loss terms will fail for most cards. Amex being slightly more lenient. The mechanism is for fraud, not unhappy card users.

Chargebacks are dirty pool if you were not lied to or did not clearly understand the terms. That is why they are typically denied.

PayPal is a whole different can of beans.

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is commendable.

FWIW a chargeback without specified loss terms will fail for most cards. Amex being slightly more lenient. The mechanism is for fraud, not unhappy card users.

Chargebacks are dirty pool if you were not lied to or did not clearly understand the terms. That is why they are typically denied.

I guess I dont consider it a choice. I consider it it the right thing to do. My reputation in life and business means more to me than a few hundred dollars in coral and shipping.

If there was a DOA agreement or guarantee. There is simply no argument to be made. The seller needs to make the buyer whole. New frag or refund.

I have only been on this forum for a short time. The threads I've seen you post I tend to agree with your opinions but on this one I think it a agree to disagree sort of thing.

ETA: I really need to learn how to multi quote on this forum lol.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little puzzled on when it became the buyers responsibility to make sure that a ups package gets to their house on time. BUYER'S AND SELLERS can we have an honest discussion/debate on the topic? I won't bore you with all the details as I plan to post the sellers original thread and our discussion at the end of this thread. I thought standard doa meant the coral had to get to your house alive? All I got was " not my responsibility ". So my question is who's is it? Luckily I know all the ways to skin a cat but would hate to see some kid get jacked that doesn't have my resources. This rainbow splice is gonna make a wonderful addition to the system. IMG_20240417_153605.jpg
Sellers responsibility until it is at your door…. If they wish to seek damages from UPS or whoever that is up to them they are the ones who paid the shipping and they are the ones with the contract them and UPS not you

Dispute the charge.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shipping insurance is not for the person that’s receiving it. It is for the shipper years of online purchases have tricked you into thinking that if you don’t pay it, you are responsible when in fact, all you’re doing is helping the pad their bottom line they skirt responsibility

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don't accept PAYPAL I don't buy from them. Disputes almost always favor the buyer.
And as a seller I would never accept paypal for that very reason. Have had several bad experiences with dishonest buyers trying to strongarm a discount or force a return (where I eat shipping a fees both ways).

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is commendable.

Wow... don't but from this guy lol

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I dont consider it a choice. I consider it it the right thing to do. My reputation in life and business means more to me than a few hundred dollars in coral and shipping.

If there was a DOA agreement or guarantee. There is simply no argument to be made. The seller needs to make the buyer whole. New frag or refund.

I have only been on this forum for a short time. The threads I've seen you post I tend to agree with your opinions but on this one I think it a agree to disagree sort of thing.

ETA: I really need to learn how to multi quote on this forum lol.

That comment that other guy made that it's "your choice" to refund a payment when your item doesn't arrive (fed ex lost it) is crazy. No way that Kind of attitude would last long selling on ebay or even any forum.

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's a standard shipping policy? Most online coral vendors have a different standards, read what you are agreeing to. A reputable vendor cover a delay, I personally wont sell a high end coral unless I can replace the coral. I've sold corals for 5 figures, those I buy a plane ticket and deliver the coral to the persons house, if they don't like it the money is returned and I fly back home.

If you buy a higher end coral $500-3000 I wont ship the coral unless there is a replacement I can offer. UPS and Fedex don't offer anything besides the shipping amount back for delay on the coral. These are all things you have to read on their shipping policies and agree to. PayPal will be your best bet to fight a crappy situation. Anything that's live and delicate sucks to ship, read and be prepared, for a delay, if the coral is shipped properly it should be fine for 48 hours, with the exception of acros. I've traveled to trade shows and lost tons of acres for stupid reasons, once again part of the hobby.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... don't but from this guy lol
The point is that when one does not understand the terms of the transaction, expectations can't be properly set. I don't ship livestock and if I did I would convey my terms up-front. Those may or may not include reimbursement for shippers failures.

This has nothing to do with me, just a simple statement of who factually is responsible for what, regardless of what the feeling or expectation or "good business" is.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back