When did the BUYER become responsible for shipping delays?

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's up to the dealer. If you don't like the terms, find another dealer. I've been noticing this more frequently too. The only thing to make it revert back is to vote with our wallets. Most people don't read terms. These dealers need exposed!
Yes they do. Especially for the people newer to the online buying experience

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fob source or fob destination?

Also, wouldn’t really apply when you pay the company to do the shipping
As far as I can tell source is the default, destination must be explicitly negotiated.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point from the beginning has been to be sure to understand your terms up front, because the default is not in your favor. Good vendors do the right thing even without the explicit terms forcing them to do so.

It is upsetting when we end up on the short end of the stick, but it comes down to buyer beware.
Then I apologize for being critical. I agree everyone needs to be aware of their actions.

Your responses did not make that apparent to me, but I understand where you are coming from.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see both sides of this honestly. Both seller and byer get screwed on DOAs due to delays
The travesty in the whole thing is that the shipper's mistakes are rarely covered by the shipper. Try collecting a claim sometime... even with insurance.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I apologize for being critical. I agree everyone needs to be aware of their actions.

Your responses did not make that apparent to me, but I understand where you are coming from.
All good. Thank you for staying cordial.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say based on being around the form for a little while @BeanAnimal usually is a very logic based person and he usually just tells things how they are not what his personal view is on something, especially topics like this. He is also very passionate about things as well and sometimes might come off as aggressive but its usually just blunt and to the point :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The travesty in the whole thing is that the shipper's mistakes are rarely covered by the shipper. Try collecting a claim sometime... even with insurance.
Oh I have and they (UPS) never respond.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell source is the default, destination must be explicitly negotiated.
I’m interpreting everything as the opposite.
By them taking payment for shipping, they are the ones with the contract with the shipping company. I did not schedule the shipment. I have no control over the shipment. And everything I’m reading seems to agree with that F.O.B. source needs to be explicitly states. And generally, that more applies to international trade or heavy freight.

Or if you want to go really far out, you could say that they are using a third-party contractor to deliver to my source location, which is my home. Since that’s essentially how you would handle a FOB source shipment is by providing a location of the freight company they need to get it to or a truck for them to load.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is that the seller is the only one who can "put pressure" on the shipper since the seller hired them to deliver the product.
Agree here 100% and sadly that falls on deaf ears these days.

In fact, the reduced (read barely reasonable) rates that FedEx offers "Live animal" vendors typically comes with a contract that says no claims can be filed.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Most of my shipped items problems are are result of shipper issues, very rarely a vendor caused problem. FedEx heavily used contractors now. I would say that at least 1/3 of my "overnight" orders are missed and most non guaranteed orders don't arrive until the last day. I assume issues are regional based on the quality of the distribution center and contractors in the area.

I too think it is a mistake, contrary to what people here assume I think.

I don't ship a whole lot, maybe 5-10 packages per month. So I understand that my experience may not be the same as those that ship on a larger scale, but I VERY rarely have any significant delays. Usually if a package is delayed it's only by a couple of hours. I use UPS.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This stuff isn't hard. The likelihood of a shipper screwing up is incredibly slim IME. Therefore, in the rare event that they do, I cover it. Simple. :)

I've always believed that the "not my problem" mindset by sellers when orders get delayed is a mistake. Being that delays are so rare (generally speaking), I think that the occasional loss is far less damaging than the bad reputation one would potentially recieve should the buyer blast them online. Additionally, I just feel like covering the mistake is the right thing to do.

You are likely in the top 5 of sellers here when it comes to customer service and quality of coral. We all know that.

Most of my shipped items problems are are result of shipper issues, very rarely a vendor caused problem. FedEx heavily used contractors now. I would say that at least 1/3 of my "overnight" orders are missed and most non guaranteed orders don't arrive until the last day. I assume issues are regional based on the quality of the distribution center and contractors in the area.

I too think it is a mistake, contrary to what people here assume I think.

FedEx Express and Freight do not use a single contractor. They are 100% union. From the flights, sorters and delivery drivers. They are the only branches of FedEx who's check actually says FedEx. Everyone else such as ground, and home delivery are contractors.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping DOAs are part of the seller’s PnL. It’s cost is baked into their price. No additional insurance is required by the buyer, they’ve already paid for it in the coral price. It’s also covered in the shipping markup which is typically 30-50%. There is a lot of hidden margin in the shipping fees.

Edited for spelling and grammar.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
You are likely in the top 5 of sellers here when it comes to customer service and quality of coral. We all know that.

Idk man, I think the guy that posted about the jawbreaker painted red may have been referring to me. He bought one from me at about the price he stated in his post. Not sure though, but I already messaged him to find out.

But thank you for the kind words, much appreciated buddy :)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interpreting everything as the opposite.
By them taking payment for shipping, they are the ones with the contract with the shipping company. I did not schedule the shipment. I have no control over the shipment. And everything I’m reading seems to agree with that F.O.B. source needs to be explicitly states. And generally, that more applies to international trade or heavy freight.
Interesting take.

The UCC is kind of ambiguous as to which is implied default but it is assumed that the person who pays for the shipping assumes the responsibility of the shipping. If shipping is "included" that means the seller. If you are paying for the shipping that means YOU the buyer. Not to be confused with who can file the claim in context to FedEx or UPS.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting take.

The UCC is kind of ambiguous as to which is implied default but it is assumed that the person who pays for the shipping assumes the responsibility of the shipping. If shipping is "included" that means the seller. If you are paying for the shipping that means YOU the buyer. Not to be confused with who can file the claim in context to FedEx or UPS.
Considering “shipping” is a product the company it reselling who is actually paying for it? You are paying a shipping fee to the company (usually marked up a little). They are then paying for shipping using their commercial account to the actual shipper and are the ones who open the contract with the shipper.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FedEx Express and Freight do not use a single contractor. They are 100% union. From the flights, sorters and delivery drivers. They are the only branches of FedEx who's check actually says FedEx. Everyone else such as ground, and home delivery are contractors.
Thank you for pointing that out.

chondro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a guitar store, and ship hundreds of thousands of dollar's worth of gear every year. So Im coming from a sellers perspective. The moment you decide to to sell something then ship it, is the moment it becomes your responsibility as the seller that the buyer receives the item it the condition promised regardless of what it is. If the seller tries to dodge his/her responsibility, move on to someone who will do the right thing.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back