When do we expect to not have to deal with COM ports?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My last remaining Windows XP device has recently passed on. I've never been able to connect to my Profilux 4 over USB using Windows 10. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has this issue.

An "over the air" firmware update capability has been mentioned a few times. Is that any closer to being released?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange - for me, win10 has been the windows version that has provided the most secure and reliable USB connection of all the Windows versions I have tried since 2008. I have tested many different computers and have not had any problems with Win 10. Please - send in a ticket to GHL for help in your case.

However - some have report problems with Win 11 and USB connections

But for the main question - update through internet that´s common for many electronic devices nowadays - I really do not hope that GHL will develop an automatic update of FW through this way. Profilux computers are the brain in a life support system and at least I want full control over the process that updates the main system itself. I do not want to experience a failed FW update in the middle of the night or when I'm not home.

And personally - if my WiFi module crash - it is very handsome to have a three different interface to my P4.

However, the more uncritical system for the operation of the P4 itself - FW and the web interface of the WiFi module can be updated wirelessly today via the internal web browser. However - be careful not to update the whole file system in the WiFi module - it will reset all settings in the module into default. Black marks how to get into the WiFi update through the internal web (you need to be connected locally into the internal web browser - the button do not exist in the cloud interface) Blue - the two thing thats is no risk (IMO) to update through "the air" - the red cross - be careful because it reset all your settings in the WiFi module into default mode

1644227360875.png

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse.

I made an error in my original post, I'm actually using Windows 11. Maybe I should try a virtual Windows 10?

So far I've tried a virtual Windows XP (COM port works fine, but Control Center is not compatible) and a virtual Windows 7 (Can never pass USB through to the virtual machine).

I understand not wanting to perform automatic updates, and risk the system, but for someone like me who is attempting to update the firmware, initially to resolve a trivial PH probe calibration issue, the need to troubleshoot virtual machines and COM ports is maddening and I can't think of any other aquarium product besides my Tunze multicontroller that requires the same fiddling.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with Win11 is a new problem and I think it is important that you report to GHL through their ticket system - especially if it is on a virtual machine (I suppose you run MAC). Use guest login.

I have not update to win 11 because of this problem I read about :D

I can´t speak for virtual machines but with the real stuff (PC and win10 :D) it has works very well for me and I have tested many different PC and brands

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I will raise a ticket.

I'm using Windows 11 on my "real" PC, I have just started using "virtual" machines to try and find a version of Windows that will allow me to update the firmware so I can the unit back on my tank.

I initially started down this rabbit hole because when I went to configure my PH probe it was showing configuration values of 3.5 and 9.5 instead of 4 and 10. That doesn't seem like such a big problem in retrospect....

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case someone stumbles across this and has had a similar issue:

1644233472840.png

1644233494624.png

1644233425904.png

1644233528884.png

1644233550698.png

I've tried setting the COM port to auto as well (As recommended in the instructions) neither work.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I do not understand. The only way to calibrate the pH as I know is to use the inbuilt interface (the small screen) in the unit itself. And in that screen - you put in the strength of your calibration liquids. The lowest first (in your case pH 7) and after that the higher (in your case pH 10). Which FW do you have in the main unit?

Here from an old serie I did on 3.1 to show how to calibrate - in my case - it was pH3 and I use pH 10. Normal for GHL is to use pH 9. When you will be asked for calibrate value 1 - you have to put in 7 and when you are asked for calibration 2 - put in 10 (or 9 if thats actual)

pH11.jpg

ph1.jpg

pH2.jpg

pH3.jpg
pH4.jpg
pH13.jpg

pH5.jpg

pH6.jpg

pH7.jpg

pH8.jpg

pH9.jpg

pH10.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse,

Yes, I was using the front panel to calibrate my probes in the normal manner, however when I was trying to calibrate my PH probe, I could not enter the values of the standard GHL calibration fluids (7.0 and 9.0 as usual), it would only let me enter values ending in ".50". It was very strange. That is when I decided to perform a firmware update, as I thought that might be a good first step before logging a ticket.

The good news is, after many, many resets. I can now configure my PH probe in the normal manner. However it is annoying that I cannot update my firmware. I have logged a ticket. I saw on the GHL forum that there has been some issues with the PC components I use (A "B450" chipset motherboard) so I am now updating that firmware!

I have gone years without updating any firmware, now I am doing several.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - yes it was strange. It have happens to me also. suddenly a .50 appear but I always been able to go to the 5 an lower it to 0

Do NOT forget to save all your settings before update and if you have virtual probes - you need to set them up again (after FW update that reset to default) using the main screen. They will found your settings but you need to reactivate them. A huge difference means that it will probably be resetted to default. especially if it is P4. There was a huge update when 32 dosing pumps was introduced

Yes - if I had a huge difference in FW - I would do it in steps

And with all FW updates - good luck :D:D:D

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if it is a P3 - do not panic if you see this after the update with last FW

1644237771439.png

Its a bug but it does not matter for the functions - I have been told :D

Sincerely Lasse

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The secret with COM port drivers to connect to Profilux is the version of the driver. I'll jump onto my other compute later, but if you "update" the driver used to an older (I'll confirm the version later) it will work.

This is common for many older serial devices, not just Profilux. It's to do with the chipsets in the device.

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The secret with COM port drivers to connect to Profilux is the version of the driver. I'll jump onto my other compute later, but if you "update" the driver used to an older (I'll confirm the version later) it will work.

This is common for many older serial devices, not just Profilux. It's to do with the chipsets in the device.
I would love to know, in addition to my Profilux I have a Tunze multicontroller and have periodically considered Mitras lights as well but the thought of having to deal with COM ports to maintain and/or configure them is a complete turn off.

OP
OP
mmorriso

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I resolved my own issue.

If any reefers of the future are looking at this: I resolved this particular problem by setting the connection timeout to 8000 in GHL Control Centre. I had previously tried raising it from the default 3000, but only to 6000. I have no idea why 8000 worked and why that would differ from my previous setup, but there you go!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I resolved my own issue.

If any reefers of the future are looking at this: I resolved this particular problem by setting the connection timeout to 8000 in GHL Control Centre. I had previously tried raising it from the default 3000, but only to 6000. I have no idea why 8000 worked and why that would differ from my previous setup, but there you go!

Thanks for the update

Sincerely Lasse

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Com ports used to be a nightmare when I tried to connect to Profilux 3 by means of adapters USB-RS 232. Once I installed the USB port card, the connection improved a lot. Currently I use Windows 8 installed in a MacBook and Parallels as emulator software to connect with the Mitras fixture and Profilux 3. It works fine.

I have even lost the fear to firmware upgrades

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back