WHen do you dump/clean skimmer? How many days?

JT26

View Badges
Reaction score
Thinking about a skimmer, for the biocube 32.

Can someone shine in the coralife skimmer or Tunze 9001. When do you have to dump out/clean the skimmer container?

Trying to see if it can go without cleaning for 2-3wk unattended?

Corals.com

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
That will vary from tank to tank and how wet or dry you attempt to skim. Id probably max it out at 10 days though either way with the Tunze. Never used the Biocube model.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Observation is the only way to tell.

Bioload, skimmer height and many other factors will affect when the cup needs to be cleaned.

Eackone

View Badges
Reaction score
I never used the 9001 but I used the 9004 in the past.
For my use, I would have to empty it at least once a week. However, as others stated it can depend on multiple factors.

DangerDave

View Badges
Reaction score
I've never had to dump, I've always let my cup drain to a 2.5 gallon container. I used to have to clean the cup every couple days, or it became too caked up with crud and lost efficiency. I've since moved to a neck cleaner on my skimmer. The neck cleaner keeps the skimmer insides spotless. I only about clean the cup and neck cleaner every 6 months, and have to drain the container every month or so.

I'll tell ya, the cleaner frame and the container smell terribly when I have to attend to them, but it's worth the reduced schedule.

Top Shelf Aquatics

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Most skimmer cups have an outlet that allows you to connect it to a storage container like @DangerDave uses. This is a great way to reduce maintenance time and trouble. The down side is if something happens to make your skimmer suddenly over flow you could not only cause the collection device to over flow (yeech!), you could drain your ATO reservoir completely and lower your salinity...until you run out of ATO water and burn your return pump up!

This is certainly a worst case scenario but it's one reason I either don't skim when I'm gone for more than a few days or have a tank sitter that can monitor/empty the container. Then I would only do that if my skimmer was well broken in and was unlikely to overflow. A controller and a security/Nest type camera can also make that option safer.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Observation is the only way to tell.

Bioload, skimmer height and many other factors will affect when the cup needs to be cleaned.
Even the same skimmer on the same tank wont always fill the same from week to week.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
I have to empty my 9004 at least every week and usually twice a week. If you get the DC version you can adjust it to skim dryer if needed.

DangerDave

View Badges
Reaction score
Most skimmer cups have an outlet that allows you to connect it to a storage container like @DangerDave uses. This is a great way to reduce maintenance time and trouble. The down side is if something happens to make your skimmer suddenly over flow you could not only cause the collection device to over flow (yeech!), you could drain your ATO reservoir completely and lower your salinity...until you run out of ATO water and burn your return pump up!

This is certainly a worst case scenario but it's one reason I either don't skim when I'm gone for more than a few days or have a tank sitter that can monitor/empty the container. Then I would only do that if my skimmer was well broken in and was unlikely to overflow. A controller and a security/Nest type camera can also make that option safer.
Definitely a concern. I didn't think to post past the cleaning part of conversation. I have an optical sensor at the top of the container that will turn off the skimmer when activated.

It's almost embarrassing how many times I've had to say "I didn't think to". :)

nisimnick

View Badges
Reaction score
just do it every few days t be safe its not big skimmer its gonna vary from you're water levels and how much the skimmer pulls out daily

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Every other week... I use a skimmate locker

reefwreak

View Badges
Reaction score
I'd just like to add to the conversation that after using a Tunze 9001 for 6 months, and having used other skimmers, in a 29g biocube, and hearing the feedback from others who used the same skimmer, that I would not recommend buying one.

What I would recommend is the AquaMaxx WS-1. It skimmed like a REAL skimmer and not like a "nano" skimmer. You could also adjust it pretty easily too, to skim wetter if you want to change it out, or dryer if you didn't want to have to empty it for 2-3 weeks.

Also, if you're going away for 2-3 weeks, I'd recommend just not skimming for that time. Your tank's life doesn't depend on having a skimmer 24/7. Just do a water change after the 4th week, and you're good to go.

skimjim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Skimmer twice a week. My skimmer is plumbed into a waste drain pipe. I have a 1/2in flexible water line to squit out the cup even while its running.

Sump I do a thorough cleanout 1-2 times a year. Empty it wet vac it. My filter socks help a lot on debris

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
I had a cube of 33 gallons going with a Tunze 9004. In my opinion it was to ineffective for that tank.
The skimmer cup was small too. I had to empty it every week although i had a low fish load so there was no nitrate buidup.
And the 9001 is half that size. To my customers I only recommend it it for up to 13 gallons. And 9004 up to 26 gallons.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Drain line into bucket so that gets emptied once a month if I am home. The skimmer itself is only cleaned about once every 3 months.

Do you use Instagram for reefing stuff? What’s your handle?

• Yes I follow people

Votes: 64 22.1%
  • Yes and I post reefing content

Votes: 57 19.7%
  • No IG isn’t for me

Votes: 152 52.6%
  • What is IG?

Votes: 16 5.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
GHL Advanced Technology