WHen do you dump/clean skimmer? How many days?

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about a skimmer, for the biocube 32.

Can someone shine in the coralife skimmer or Tunze 9001. When do you have to dump out/clean the skimmer container?

Trying to see if it can go without cleaning for 2-3wk unattended?

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used the 9001 but I used the 9004 in the past.
For my use, I would have to empty it at least once a week. However, as others stated it can depend on multiple factors.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had to dump, I've always let my cup drain to a 2.5 gallon container. I used to have to clean the cup every couple days, or it became too caked up with crud and lost efficiency. I've since moved to a neck cleaner on my skimmer. The neck cleaner keeps the skimmer insides spotless. I only about clean the cup and neck cleaner every 6 months, and have to drain the container every month or so.

I'll tell ya, the cleaner frame and the container smell terribly when I have to attend to them, but it's worth the reduced schedule.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmer cups have an outlet that allows you to connect it to a storage container like @DangerDave uses. This is a great way to reduce maintenance time and trouble. The down side is if something happens to make your skimmer suddenly over flow you could not only cause the collection device to over flow (yeech!), you could drain your ATO reservoir completely and lower your salinity...until you run out of ATO water and burn your return pump up!

This is certainly a worst case scenario but it's one reason I either don't skim when I'm gone for more than a few days or have a tank sitter that can monitor/empty the container. Then I would only do that if my skimmer was well broken in and was unlikely to overflow. A controller and a security/Nest type camera can also make that option safer.

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to go is what saltydog describes but you HAVE to have a high level switch!

Screenshot_20190718-134018_Samsung Internet.jpg

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmer cups have an outlet that allows you to connect it to a storage container like @DangerDave uses. This is a great way to reduce maintenance time and trouble. The down side is if something happens to make your skimmer suddenly over flow you could not only cause the collection device to over flow (yeech!), you could drain your ATO reservoir completely and lower your salinity...until you run out of ATO water and burn your return pump up!

This is certainly a worst case scenario but it's one reason I either don't skim when I'm gone for more than a few days or have a tank sitter that can monitor/empty the container. Then I would only do that if my skimmer was well broken in and was unlikely to overflow. A controller and a security/Nest type camera can also make that option safer.

Definitely a concern. I didn't think to post past the cleaning part of conversation. I have an optical sensor at the top of the container that will turn off the skimmer when activated.

It's almost embarrassing how many times I've had to say "I didn't think to". :)

No nick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just do it every few days t be safe its not big skimmer its gonna vary from you're water levels and how much the skimmer pulls out daily

reefwreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just like to add to the conversation that after using a Tunze 9001 for 6 months, and having used other skimmers, in a 29g biocube, and hearing the feedback from others who used the same skimmer, that I would not recommend buying one.

What I would recommend is the AquaMaxx WS-1. It skimmed like a REAL skimmer and not like a "nano" skimmer. You could also adjust it pretty easily too, to skim wetter if you want to change it out, or dryer if you didn't want to have to empty it for 2-3 weeks.

Also, if you're going away for 2-3 weeks, I'd recommend just not skimming for that time. Your tank's life doesn't depend on having a skimmer 24/7. Just do a water change after the 4th week, and you're good to go.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer twice a week. My skimmer is plumbed into a waste drain pipe. I have a 1/2in flexible water line to squit out the cup even while its running.

Sump I do a thorough cleanout 1-2 times a year. Empty it wet vac it. My filter socks help a lot on debris

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cube of 33 gallons going with a Tunze 9004. In my opinion it was to ineffective for that tank.
The skimmer cup was small too. I had to empty it every week although i had a low fish load so there was no nitrate buidup.
And the 9001 is half that size. To my customers I only recommend it it for up to 13 gallons. And 9004 up to 26 gallons.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain line into bucket so that gets emptied once a month if I am home. The skimmer itself is only cleaned about once every 3 months.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%

Back