When do Zoas/Palys release Palytoxin?

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course we all saw the recent toxin storey but at what point do they release their toxins? For example I've seen LFS with bare hands picking up zoa frags for customers and often times accidentally poking the corals. I've done the same during acclimation as well by mistake or when I'm coral dipping them and blowing water at them. Idk if i've been exposed to small amounts or anything but at what point do they truly release? At all the news stories about palytoxins, it seems that the biggest cases are from boiling and cutting. But do they release all the time but at different intensities depending on whats happening?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always error on the side of caution. Just because Joe at the LFS or another hobbyist throws caution to the wind use common sense. I personally knew a hobbyist that accidentally got zoanthid fluid in her eye and lost the sight in the eye, permanently.

I had a large colony of palythoa in a tank many years ago, and after working and cleaning in that tank I began to experience mild symptoms. This was in 2007 before all the hoopla done by the media.. It was a nano tank with a large population so I am sure that was a contributing factor.

Be safe ware gloves and goggles if you're going to manipulate or damage the tissue by fragging. Anything that damages the tissue of a zoanthid or palys has the potential to poison.

In my previous tanks 2017/18 I have had large populations Sunny'Ds and Rasta. I did touch them without gloves many times with no issue, but I immediately washed my hands after contact, nor would I touch my eyes, mouth..... you get the idea.

I feel this topic currently is verging on mass hysteria to a certain degree, but it's obvious to me that you do not boil, bake ever or cut palys or zoanthids without precautions and protection, I guess not so with some hobbyist. Just use common sense.

Last edited:

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning a power head with vinegar and caused one to aerosol. Made me very sick.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always error on the side of caution. Just because Joe at the LFS or another hobbyist throws caution to the wind use common sense. I personally knew a hobbyist that accidentally got zoanthid fluid in her eye and lost the sight in the eye, permanently.

I had a large colony of palythoa in a tank many years ago, and after working and cleaning in that tank I began to experience mild symptoms. This was in 2007 before all the hoopla done by the media.. It was a nano tank with a large population so I am sure that was a contributing factor.

Be safe ware gloves and goggles if you're going to manipulate or damage the tissue by fragging. Anything that damages the tissue of a zoanthid or palys has the potential to poison.

In my previous tanks 2017/18 I have had large populations Sunny'Ds and Rasta. I did touch them without gloves many times with no issue, but I immediately washed my hands after contact, nor would I touch my eyes, mouth..... you get the idea.

I feel this topic currently is verging on mass hysteria to a certain degree, but it's obvious to me that you do not boil, bake ever or cut palys or zoanthids without precautions and protection, I guess not so with some hobbyist. Just use common sense.

Part of why I ask, even though we all use precautions, is there a certain threshold zoas wait for before releasing?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back