When is the last time you checked this?!!?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When is the last time you checked your salinity....manually!

A thread just made me think about it and I have to be honest and say I can't remember the last time I checked it manually or automatically! :oops:

A lot of you probably monitor yours automatically and just keep up with it via alerts. But what about manually?

a_185_refractometer.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check dt water day before wc and then use ovbiously a few times to check salinity of water im making for wc then few hours after a wc check again so check dt water x 2 a week

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just yesterday. Had to check it due to adding more sand and not removing water. Therefore my ATO probe was off so all the evaporation with nothing added might have spiked it. Guess I was running low end cause my SG was 1.027

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 3 or 4 days manually. I use the Hanna digital and since it’s so easy I check often. Same with the Hanna digital ppPh.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a small monthly water change and check the display tank with a refractometer while I'm mixing the new water.

I used to be more lax about it until I realized that my salinity drifts down. Assuming from concentrated skimmer waste. Every other month I mix my NSW at 1.027 and that seems to have done the trick to keep the display at a constant 1.026.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a month or so lol , it’s always 1.026 I don’t do water changes so easy to keep , just top off salt water from time to time to adjust for salt creep ect..

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two,three times a week, refractometer, sadly didnt have budget for some fancy probes,monitors....... ;)

Keep 1.026 stable, in firm believe that my refractometer is still accurate after 10+ years in use....

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate before I use it every time. Takes less than a minute and I don't need to wonder if it drifted, which I did for a long time.

Once I tightened things up, as far as the calibration, all those little things that shouldn't be happening with corals stopped and it's been huge for us ever since.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is the last time you checked your salinity....manually!

A thread just made me think about it and I have to be honest and say I can't remember the last time I checked it manually or automatically! :oops:

A lot of you probably monitor yours automatically and just keep up with it via alerts. But what about manually?

a_185_refractometer.jpg
I only check it manually. I am all for automation and digital but I find the manual check for salinity the most reliable and the fastest.
Not to mention you don’t really have to do it too often.
I do it when;
- mix new water
- add new livestock to tank
- every 2-3 weeks as part of water testing

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate mine using salifert solution, same as using ro water, but still i plan to buy new refractometer just to be sure....

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back