when should i change my bulbs?

tropicalreefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi! im using a giesemann matrixx dimtech2 and im wondering when i should start changing my bulbs? are there any signs i have to watch out for?
follow my ig @chasingcorals

IMG_20180109_185115_552.jpg

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people go as early as 6-9 months, some people go as long as 2 years. Seems the median majority of us do it annually. Most people stock up during Black Friday sales when bulbs are 20% cheaper. Easy to save money and also remember exactly when to change them

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Bpb and I know many T5 users that do it for Black Friday. Beautiful tank by the way, I believe I follow you on Instagram :)

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s your review on the matrix II.
I am torn between the sexy looks of the matrix vs the raving reviews of the ATI.

People saying the matrix doesn’t deliver enough par.

What’s your take?

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am torn between the sexy looks of the matrix vs the raving reviews of the ATI.

What’s your take?
I would say for that LPS tank its probably more than enough - scoly do just fine in 100 - 150 par. A cheepo 4 bulb fixture would have taken care of it lol.

OP
OP
tropicalreefnewb

tropicalreefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What’s your take?
hi i just installed my ati powermodule beside my giesemann, the ati was abit overkill imo, i was tweaking it abit just now and realized that the powermodule does not have its own app. so i think the giesemann is a tad bit more user friendly! here is a pic of both lights

IMG-20180212-WA0059.jpeg

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say for that LPS tank its probably more than enough - scoly do just fine in 100 - 150 par. A cheepo 4 bulb fixture would have taken care of it lol.

lol - see - that exactly there - keeps pushing me back to ATI.
that giesemann looks so good. But i am completely unsure of how - two fixtures - who literally all they have to do is shine the bulbs you put in there - could be so far off in terms of PAR.
especially if they are both german and high end.

Planning on a sps dominant tank. and i genuinely dislike the fat and old style body of the ATI - and also lack of any modern UI like an app connection.

OP
OP
tropicalreefnewb

tropicalreefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that giesemann looks so good. But i am completely unsure of how - two fixtures - who literally all they have to do is shine the bulbs you put in there - could be so far off in terms of PAR.

Planning on a sps dominant tank. and i genuinely dislike the fat and old style body of the ATI - and also lack of any modern UI like an app connection.
haha if you would wait a few more weeks, i can tell you which one is better! so far, zoanthids have been growing really fast under my giesemann lighting as compared to my old ai prime hd. so if ur aiming for growth, t5 is the way to go! but the powermodule is a really nice looking light though! even the led itself is enough to light up all of my tank!

20180212_185230.jpg

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ya, Ive a couple of ATI fixtures and they really are par monsters. I don't know if its the ballast or reflectors or some kinds magic but they are hard to beat. I use MH / T5s and LEDs on different tanks. So what did I order for a new Reefer 750 build at my office? 8 x 80 Powermodule Hybred - couldn't help myself. Actually I dam near order a Spectra (run one at home) but thought the MHs would blind everyone as I run them about 18" over the tank as opposed to 10-12 for LEDs. Giesemann builds such beautiful stuff though and I have a friend with the Matrix II on a SPS tank absolutely packed from 2 year old nubs that I'm sure it produces enough par for any application.

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan would be to go with either the matrixx or the SUNPOWER - (The power module has LEDs and is three times the price).
i would just add a reefbrite or something to get the blues.

@tropicalreefnewb - would love your take on the giesemann
@Centerline - you got my DREAM light in that 8X80 powermodule.

OP
OP
tropicalreefnewb

tropicalreefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan would be to go with either the matrixx or the SUNPOWER - (The power module has LEDs and is three times the price).
i would just add a reefbrite or something to get the blues.

@tropicalreefnewb - would love your take on the giesemann
@Centerline - you got my DREAM light in that 8X80 powermodule.
if you do go with the giesemann all t5 then it wont show as much color as the led, even if yoj install 4 blue bulbs. [emoji1] giesemann aurora is a hybrid if im not mistaken, maybe try that? overall i would say the giesemann has given me lots of coral growth and im very happy with it, although i wouldnt be able to see the coloration of what an led would give .

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go with ALL T5 fixture - either giesmann OR ATI.
then add a strip of reefbrite or something to get the blues.

That is more economical . then getting a hybrid of either the giesemann or the ATI powermodule. they are SOOOO expensive. I am sure its worth it - but too much for me.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like all T5s, no LEDs.
Yes, Black Friday is the only time you'll need to change your bulbs. That's what I do too. Hehe.
Grandis.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back