When to add a Cleaner Shrimp

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm currently running through phase II of the cycle process and curious when it is a good time to add a cleaner shrimp. I currently have a pair of clowns, juvenile emperor angel, and a bi-color blenny. The tank has live sand and I started with dry live rock so not much growth on them currently. I wondering if I can add one now and if the shrimp will be able to survive off the left over mysis shrimp or if I need to wait.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be able to add it now. They are super aggressive about feeding and will fight for some food.
I will be adding corals (SPS and LPS). Is there any particular shrimp I should avoid to not have issues later with the corals?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be adding corals (SPS and LPS). Is there any particular shrimp I should avoid to not have issues later with the corals?
Scarlet skunk cleaners are great for a tank. Peppermint shrimp can eat anemones and other stuff in your tank so use caution with those.

ReeferLou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cleaner for 3 yrs and he just died. I will not be getting another. People really liked to look at him and all, but he always stole the food from my LPS when I would pipe feed them. I'm talking duncans and acans and chalice corals. It is so much easer to feed now. So keep that in mind - they are major scrounges.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cleaner for 3 yrs and he just died. I will not be getting another. People really liked to look at him and all, but he always stole the food from my LPS when I would pipe feed them. I'm talking duncans and acans and chalice corals. It is so much easer to feed now. So keep that in mind - they are major scrounges.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are things I'm interested in knowing too. Although they sound like they are peaceful, just a pain when its feeding team.

Are there shrimp that are coral safe and don't steel food from the corals?

Are there methods to combat shrimp steeling food from corals?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Personally, I would wait at least 1-2 more months before adding any shrimp. Your tank needs to be very stable to support them as they do not tolerate changes in salinity, nitrate and ph well. Rushing to add your cool shrimp can be an expensive mistake. Just because your tank has "cycled" does not notate it has been established yet. It takes several months for your tank to become "established" and reach an equilibrium and stability. With some shrimp, they can go in the same time as cleaner crew but scarlet are fire shrimp are a tad more sensitive to tank conditions.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 7 year old daughter begs me every day to let her put her arm in the tank since the peppermint shrimp will jump right on her. They do tickle a little. Too bad I only let her if I need to get in there. If she washes well. Glad she gets excited with alll these things though.

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 7 year old daughter begs me every day to let her put her arm in the tank since the peppermint shrimp will jump right on her. They do tickle a little. Too bad I only let her if I need to get in there. If she washes well. Glad she gets excited with alll these things though.
Get that experience on video if you can. It may be something you will treasure a long time.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t wait until I get mine, to do that very thing. ;Joyful

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back