when to add coral

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
novice here - cycling new tank, looking ahead to adding softy/lps. Do I need to build up calcium levels before adding my first coral? or is there Ca in the saltwater?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Depends on type of coral but your water testing will indicate when youhave met parameters and that they are stable allowing you to begin stocking.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
novice here - cycling new tank, looking ahead to adding softy/lps. Do I need to build up calcium levels before adding my first coral? or is there Ca in the saltwater?
Finish the cycle and add a fish or 2.
Then you might try a softie, GSP Rhodactis, xenia.
Without the fish there are no nutrients for the coral.

There is calcium in all saltwater mixes. You won't need to supplement for a few months, if then.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research the lps and softies you want or like to add. also, read up on your specific salt mix And what is inside the salt mix itself. That will give a good judgement on where you want your parameters to keep stability. That is the key to reefping. Is stability and take your time. Don’t jump on one persons advice either. Read a few and learn. Everyone’s reef tank is different.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies first, once you see coralline algae on the glass, your ready for Stoney type corals.
Yes, to a point about this statement. I would say if you test and things are consistent, not going more than .5 of a difference, then you can add sps. Lps like dirtier water and it can take a while for been a small amount of coraline algae to grow. Consistency is key and you will have better success if you keep it that way, even with no coraline.

OP
OP
D

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Coralline Algae in a Bottle, Purple Helix from ArcReef "- what do you all think about jump starting coralline growth with a product such as this?

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Coralline Algae in a Bottle, Purple Helix from ArcReef "- what do you all think about jump starting coralline growth with a product such as this?
I haven’t done it ever. My tank has tons of it now. It’ll naturally happen and brought in on frags if you get them. No need to rush what will happen. Everyone wants the quick fix and make it fast but this hobby isn’t like that at all. Take you time and don’t rush what will happen eventually.

Meeggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a bottle of purple helix to my tank today. The instructions it comes with says that you can see results in about 9 weeks as opposed to upwards a year without it

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back