When to add eels?

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out a new build (probably ~180 gallons), and I really want amore or two. I love watching them eat, and I think they will work well with the aquascape I have in mind (several large caves for them to chill out in). I was thinking about getting one zebra and one chainlink. I read somewhere that it's best to introduce 2 at the same time if you're going to have 2 so that they can sort out their separate territories. So questions are...

1. Can they be added as the first fish after fishless cycle (except maybe a couple clowns which I already have), or should I wait until stuff is established? Will they react negatively to other fish introduced later?
2. Do they do OK in a bare bottom tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the zebra and chainlink are not fish eaters by trade, I don't think I would trust them with Ocellaris clowns. Tips for safe keeping with fish; get smaller specimens and get them well trained with feeding and on a very strict schedule. Be careful introducing new fish as not to confuse and trigger eels into thinking it's food. Larger eels, even pebble tooths, will eat small fish. Bare bottom is no problem. I would either introduce them first and have them feeding well before adding fish, or have an observation tank to acclimate them before introduction to the dt. Adding together would be good, but neither are so aggressive that they would cause too much angst for a new eel to settle in.

OP
OP
B

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, lion king! I'll leave the clowns in my 20g so the eels don't get hungry for 'em. Also, I read once every 2 days they get to eat a live or frozen shrimp, right? Is that enough for them?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as feeding goes, every 3 days a good rule of thumb, while some may go even longer in between feedings. Overfeeding, including too frequent feeding is likely the 2nd cause of premature death, carpet surfing being #1. Eels gorge then fast in the wild, so mimic this pattern for best results; feed their full, they'll let you know. Then give at least a couple/few days between feeding. These eels will be fine on dead food, but should include fresh shrimp with shells, any sharp edges trimmed off. Octopus and squid are also good additions, a variety is best. When 1st introduced they may need something live to settle them in, but usually take to dead food easily. Watch some youtube vids on feeding eels so you can see the technique some use to feed them. Live ghost shrimp would likely be too small but for pretty small eels, maybe the chainlink. The zebra usually comes in pretty large. A live fiddle crab is a nice offering, especially for a zebra.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back