When to introduce macro algae in a new tank?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started cycling my rock in a trash can. I intend to setup my tank in June. How long should I wait before adding macro algae to a display tank? Can I do it in June, or should I wait a few months?

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your talking about the fast growing Chaetomorpha, then as soon as possible. I have found it to grow even when the cycle is not complete. But the show type of algae, then I would wait for the cycle to be completed

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your talking about the fast growing Chaetomorpha, then as soon as possible. I have found it to grow even when the cycle is not complete. But the show type of algae, then I would wait for the cycle to be completed
It’s show algae like codium, dragons breath, mermaid fans, grapes, etc. I won’t be stocking my tank until roughly a month after the cycle is complete. Would that be fine for show algae?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but I would wait until your tank is stocked. Since macroalgae absorb nutrients from the water, without any livestock to feed and excrete waste, I don't think your algae would do well. You'd have to add something to the tank for them to live on, and determining what and how much to feed macroalgae could be problematic.

But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in with a solution.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but I would wait until your tank is stocked. Since macroalgae absorb nutrients from the water, without any livestock to feed and excrete waste, I don't think your algae would do well. You'd have to add something to the tank for them to live on, and determining what and how much to feed macroalgae could be problematic.

But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in with a solution.
I feel like that makes sense. I’ll hold off until I have some livestock and some corals in it. Thanks for the input!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that you need to wait until mid summer for the water to warm up enough to harvest macros. Most places are out of stock and they won't be restocking until at least June - maybe later. (Barring a heavy hurricane season.)

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that you need to wait until mid summer for the water to warm up enough to harvest macros. Most places are out of stock and they won't be restocking until at least June - maybe later. (Barring a heavy hurricane season.)
That time frame would line up perfectly then :)

Back