When to move nem?

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have resently cycled my tank and already moved most of my coral and fish( three tangs, 1 chromis, 1 maroon clawnfish) everything is doing fine although diatoms still there. My question is in my older tank I have a rose tip bubble annemone and I was wondering when would be a good time to move him to the new tank. He seems to be not happy in the older tank as it shrunk and discolored light green.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since you still have to older tank set up, you can try abd if it fails, you still have an option to pull it back out - I guess that you have to find out the hard way :) !

It is okay that they shrink up after moving them around but pull it back out, if you see what looks like a tear in the skin of the anemone. If it tears, it will release stinger-cells and generally generally start rotting and become hazardous to your tank in general :)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as the release of "stinger cells" from a foot tear. Bta's routinely heal from foot tears, both big and small. They tear themselves in half to propagate, after all.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all foe your input. So it should be fine If I move it to the new tank. Here is how the new tank looks with the new owners in there.

20200315_211951.jpg 20200313_214901.jpg

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always heard that if a tank is stable enough for SPS, an anemone should do fine. I'd go ahead and try. You're tank looks great by the way!

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much I did my first alkalinity test and it is really low 5.7 iam trying to increase but slowly since the media iam using meant to increase PH. I have a nano tank where I use the rock from my main display. Might move my nem there first before getting it into the main display i think thats better. I will be adding the rock with the nem to the nano tank so the biological filtration should be fine.

20200315_181335.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't move it to the main DT just yet. Sounds like you're still fiddling with various things to get parameters t your liking. Anemones in general hate this. Also, you may want to try to figure out why your BTA isn't happy in its current tank.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I moved the rock a couple times to catch fish in the tank thats why it might not be happy. But I will try to move it to my nano since my old tank and nano share the same biological filtration which means the rocks.

OP
OP
Qasim

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my nem to thenano tank. My clittle clawnfish jumped right into it hope it wont be disturbed and close up its already out abit and looking much better :) hopefully i will have him thrive and multiply there.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as the release of "stinger cells" from a foot tear. Bta's routinely heal from foot tears, both big and small. They tear themselves in half to propagate, after all.

True but there is an aspect of when they die, when they begin to tear and at that stage the stingers can get into the flesh of fishes, even the clowns that have adapted to living with that specific anemone unfortunately.

Stinger Cells?

Yes, anemones, cnidaria, are like jellyfishes, and they have stinger cells,, called nematocysts.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back