When to start weekly WC

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Friday Marks my fourth week of the tank running I did buy the tank used but I put new water and sand and rocks in it however I left the sump how it was and the overflow box for beneficial bacteria I have a rock flower anemone a hammer coral a elegance and gsp my parameters are ammonia is 0, PH 7.8, nitrite 0, nitrate0. My calcium is 500 of course I have no heavy coral load, phosphate 0, KH 11DKH, magnesium 1440 should I start the Wc once it hits this 1 month mark?. Also I ordered a uv light for some bacteria bloom I’ve been Experiency are usually learn from trial and error but this tank I want to do it a little different any advice will be much appreciated

173CDC99-CE4B-42A2-9E85-5EFF2B44B8A4.jpeg

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When nitrates and phosphates start going above your desired level. Currently at 0 for each id leave it alone for awhile. And i see some coral in there already, with a new system you might have trouble keeping them alive, i would dose nitrates and phosphates and/or feed heavily until you start registering nutrients

OP
OP
Alex_hairymoney

Alex_hairymoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I'd start weekly 10% water changes and adding nutrients to the system..
I did add the brightwell brick which I poured the microbactor7 on it submerged in a Tupperware w the aquarium water for 24 hours. That’s the thing I don’t know if I should wait till my nitrates and phosphates start to elevate and then to start the water changes or start the water changes as of now to prevent it

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add the brightwell brick which I poured the microbactor7 on it submerged in a Tupperware w the aquarium water for 24 hours. That’s the thing I don’t know if I should wait till my nitrates and phosphates start to elevate and then to start the water changes or start the water changes as of now to prevent it
I would do water changes and add n03 and p04 to elevate levels, but thats how I'd do it..your nutrients will elevate eventually with time and feeding and you may not need to add any, depending on a few other things, but stay in target range now dont wait and water changes are a good thing to start and continue, along with continued testing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I let test kits determine that and speaking of test kits- You do not want API brand which often produces false readings.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back