When to upgrade my tank size??

  • Thread starter Thread starter highonh2o
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

highonh2o

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 9, 2025
Messages
29
Reaction score
10
Location
Mesa Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my reef tank a month ago and currently have a blonde naso tang (3-4 inches) a clown tang (5-6 inches) a coral beauty (3 inches) and two juvenile clown. It’s 75 gallons standard size (I know it’s small for the fish but it’s not their forever home). My question is at what size the fish reach should I upgrade the tank size. Going to upgrade to a 200-250 when I do.
 
Upgrade now. You have 2, soon to be large tangs, in a 75g. Even at their current size is not even close enough to the appropriate size.
 
Upgrade now. You have 2, soon to be large tangs, in a 75g. Even at their current size is not even close enough to the appropriate size.
I know it’s not the most adequate size for them currently but they all have their own spots in the rocks and are happy and enjoying the tank rn just want an idea of at what size (the fish) would it be absolutely necessary to upgrade. I have two kids and work full time so it’s a process that will take time/money so it will take an enormous amount of planning
 
Great lol but honestly you think I could squeeze like 6 months out of this tank before upgrading ?
Realistically probably just don't add anymore fish.
Okay great thank you, I’ll just keep my focus and additions to the coral until it’s time to upgrade!
 
I know it’s not the most adequate size for them currently but they all have their own spots in the rocks and are happy and enjoying the tank rn just want an idea of at what size (the fish) would it be absolutely necessary to upgrade. I have two kids and work full time so it’s a process that will take time/money so it will take an enormous amount of planning
And that’s why it is better to plan out an appropriate fish list for the size tank you currently have. Tank size upgrades rarely come to fruition. In 6 months that clown tang can be 8” and now your other fish will be stressed. Hopefully, it’s not an expensive lesson for you, but hope is not a tactic.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new