When treating with Fluconazole, do you experience a large drop in ph?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated my tank with Blue Ocean Flux RX. I'm coming up on the 2 week mark and prepping for the 30% water change. I replaced my ph probe and recalibrated it yesterday with 7 & 10 calibration fluid. After calibrating I placed them in each solution and it was spot on. Placed it in my tank and it read 7.65! This was mid day. My previous probe was 2 years old and dirty, giving me a reading of 8.2-8.3. I opened two new packets of 7 & 10 ph solution and the new probe is still spot on.

I ran a line from my skimmer intake to outdoors yesterday. It dipped to 7.75 at night, so I'm assuming it did help some. I know ph is affected by alkalinity (8.3) and photosynthesis. My bryopsis is gone and my glass hasnt been getting hazy at all. This got me wondering if its actually the fluconazole suppressing algae growth/photosynthesis and causing a very low ph value?

Even before treatment I've been battling an unknown cause of long term STN with random RTN events. Recently I've been waking up to RTN mini colonies. Most of time gone overnight. These events usually seem to be triggered at night, which got me looking to replace/calibrate my ph. Looking back on my apex ph graph, the old probe would read 8.3.-8.4 and 7.95 at night, so it's possible it's been low for some time.

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used fluconazole twice for Bryopsis and each time I lost a few acro frags. Mine was prescription grade. I didn’t notice a drop in ph but I experienced rtn or stn as well. It’s supposed to be safe but I’ve only use it if it’s out of control.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used fluconazole twice for Bryopsis and each time I lost a few acro frags. Mine was prescription grade. I didn’t notice a drop in ph but I experienced rtn or stn as well. It’s supposed to be safe but I’ve only use it if it’s out of control.
Mine was pretty bad. Im wondering if this was the cause of the stn rtn now. I replaced my ph probe but I'm wondering if its somehow flawed? Is it possible for a ph probe to calibrate properly but always read low?
I've used it several times with no PH change but i'm using prescription grade product in a big tank.
Gotcha any sensitive sps when treating?

Back