When you’re in a funk

Brittany Marie

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2018
Messages
330
Reaction score
528
Location
Southern Maryland
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without going into too many details, I’ve been so depressed lately. My tank had bought me so much joy, but I can’t stand to look at it right now. I basically feed my fish and walk away...

I’m sure others get into the saltwater funk, whether it be frustration with the tank itself or outside factors.

What are some things y’all do to enjoy it again..

Today all I’ve thought about is tearing it down and getting rid of everything I once loved
 
Without going into too many details, I’ve been so depressed lately. My tank had bought me so much joy, but I can’t stand to look at it right now. I basically feed my fish and walk away...

I’m sure others get into the saltwater funk, whether it be frustration with the tank itself or outside factors.

What are some things y’all do to enjoy it again..

Today all I’ve thought about is tearing it down and getting rid of everything I once loved
Find a fish that you can really attach to, I see tons of people being able to handfeed puffers, tangs, and etc.
Really that one bonded fish can really go a long way, being happy whenever it finds you just like a dog.
 
Sorry to hear it, and yes, I know exactly what you mean. I go through highs and lows with my tank too. Some things to try off the top of my head:

1. Pull up a comfy chair and stare at your tank. Watch the fish, inverts, etc., watch how they move, how majestic and quirky they are at the same time. Check the crevices of your rock, you may find something super cool you haven't seen before.
2. If it needs it, clean it. I know it sounds weird, but a lot of us get a little endorphin boost by doing something good for the creatures that depend upon our attention for their very lives.
3. Bring friends over. This is good advice for many reasons, you hang out with people you like, consume a cold beverage of your liking, and, most important, NO ONE can resist a beautiful salt tank. All the oooohhhs and aaaaaaahhhs will go a long way toward helping you love that which you helped create.
4. Allow yourself to just feed the fish and take a little break. If someone else in the household knows how to take care of the tank allow them to take over for a bit. Marine tanks of any kind require a great deal of husbandry, this can be taxing, it is okay to take a break.
5. Buy a cleaner shrimp if you don't already have one. They are cheap and hardy and cool as h-e-double hockey sticks. Then, stick your (clean) hand into your tank and let that little sucker crawl all over it cleaning you up. If that doesn't put a smile on your face then do the exact same thing while watching Jim Gaffigan on Netflix.

:)
 
Find a fish that you can really attach to, I see tons of people being able to handfeed puffers, tangs, and etc.
Really that one bonded fish can really go a long way, being happy whenever it finds you just like a dog.

I used to have a valentini puffer that would “play” through the glass..he passed suddenly and with an unknown cause. I have a trigger which I had heard could be very dog-ish but he really wants nothing to do with me. He’s not as shy but, not social. I had been thinking of another puffer, they’re my absolute favorite fish. Just worried about getting something new while being depressed
 
Sorry to hear it, and yes, I know exactly what you mean. I go through highs and lows with my tank too. Some things to try off the top of my head:

1. Pull up a comfy chair and stare at your tank. Watch the fish, inverts, etc., watch how they move, how majestic and quirky they are at the same time. Check the crevices of your rock, you may find something super cool you haven't seen before.
2. If it needs it, clean it. I know it sounds weird, but a lot of us get a little endorphin boost by doing something good for the creatures that depend upon our attention for their very lives.
3. Bring friends over. This is good advice for many reasons, you hang out with people you like, consume a cold beverage of your liking, and, most important, NO ONE can resist a beautiful salt tank. All the oooohhhs and aaaaaaahhhs will go a long way toward helping you love that which you helped create.
4. Allow yourself to just feed the fish and take a little break. If someone else in the household knows how to take care of the tank allow them to take over for a bit. Marine tanks of any kind require a great deal of husbandry, this can be taxing, it is okay to take a break.
5. Buy a cleaner shrimp if you don't already have one. They are cheap and hardy and cool as h-e-double hockey sticks. Then, stick your (clean) hand into your tank and let that little sucker crawl all over it cleaning you up. If that doesn't put a smile on your face then do the exact same thing while watching Jim Gaffigan on Netflix.

:)

Thank you for all these great solutions! It definitely needs a cleaning..and you’re right, before when I would clean I felt so relaxed (fish were going crazy of course)
 
I used to have a valentini puffer that would “play” through the glass..he passed suddenly and with an unknown cause. I have a trigger which I had heard could be very dog-ish but he really wants nothing to do with me. He’s not as shy but, not social. I had been thinking of another puffer, they’re my absolute favorite fish. Just worried about getting something new while being depressed
Just checked out your tank and I have to admit I love it! The triggerfish is actually pretty cool! Also, you cannot beat the classic Yellow Tang. ;)
 
Without going into too many details, I’ve been so depressed lately. My tank had bought me so much joy, but I can’t stand to look at it right now. I basically feed my fish and walk away...

I’m sure others get into the saltwater funk, whether it be frustration with the tank itself or outside factors.

What are some things y’all do to enjoy it again..

Today all I’ve thought about is tearing it down and getting rid of everything I once loved
I got that way about my FW tank before I got rid of it and dove into the SW world. I understand what you're going through and I would say the same as the others, try something new. It could even go as far as a new style of tank - seahorse, octopus - who knows.
 
Music goes a long way for me. Put together a mix and get the tank looking good. Organization also helps. When I’m down, it’s easy to let things in my place get neglected. When I clean up, it helps me on the journey to getting my head straight. These are kind of my first steps to getting out of a funk.
 
Do you know what the cause of not enjoying your aquarium was? I know I can loose enjoyment when things just dont seem to working right.

Yes and sadly it’s not the tanks’ doing. Long story very short and slim details. I live with my parents (step dad and mom) my step dad is who I shared my interest in the hobby with. I’d bring home a new fish and be so excited, not to put it in the tank but to show him and how cool he thought it was...he wasn’t the person we thought he was..so he is no longer in the picture. And because of what had happened I cannot look at my tank and feel anything more than disgust.
 
Just checked out your tank and I have to admit I love it! The triggerfish is actually pretty cool! Also, you cannot beat the classic Yellow Tang. ;)

Thank you. It was looking beautiful for the first year, then sprung a leak when family issues came along. So I went from a 60 gal with sump and protein skimmer. To a 75 gal with two canister filters...I feel lost with making it better
 
Yes and sadly it’s not the tanks’ doing. Long story very short and slim details. I live with my parents (step dad and mom) my step dad is who I shared my interest in the hobby with. I’d bring home a new fish and be so excited, not to put it in the tank but to show him and how cool he thought it was...he wasn’t the person we thought he was..so he is no longer in the picture. And because of what had happened I cannot look at my tank and feel anything more than disgust.

Well with those details I think it may be best to take down and get a new tank or just get put. You cant move on with that in the house as a reminder.
 
Thank you. It was looking beautiful for the first year, then sprung a leak when family issues came along. So I went from a 60 gal with sump and protein skimmer. To a 75 gal with two canister filters...I feel lost with making it better
Hey there is nothing wrong with that! You get +15 gallons and you even got to get a tang! Even maybe a flame Angelfish and those are very cool!!!
 
I guess all of us go through this at some point. I had 2 tanks . A 80 gallon rimless and a 90 gallon reef tanks and absolutely enjoyed them . A lot of work though
first of May I had an illness and was on the mend later but had thought I didn’t have time for 2 reef tanks so I come up with making the 90 into a Malawi cichlid tank . Stocked heavy as I wanted to have a lot of moving color and so far so good and easier to take care of then. So I would suggest find something that will energize you back into the fun of having a tank and enjoy.Life is too short as I found out so enjoy!
 
Hang in there! Life gets hard, tanks get hard at the end of this rough patch there’s always something to look forward to. Let that tank be the pride and joy of both you and your child now. Clean it watch it go to fish stores. You’ll find the joy again.
Plus all of r2r is here to back you up.
 
I miss sitting in front of it with my daughter and just being so happy

I understand where you're coming from. Regardless of who brought you into the reef life, if you love it and want to share it with your daughter, do it. Make whatever changes you think are necessary to bring your tank and your interest in it back to what it once was. It may be hard, but I don't think you should allow someone else's actions to deprive you and your family of something that is important to you. Sorry if I seem out of line. Just want you all to be happy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new