When's the last time you bought/sold live goods, dry goods or equipment from/to a fellow hobbyist?

The last time you bought or sold live goods, dry goods or equipment from or to a fellow hobbyist?

• TODAY

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Past Week

Votes: 111 28.0%
  • Past Month

Votes: 73 18.4%
  • Past 3 Months

Votes: 40 10.1%
  • Past 6 Months

Votes: 28 7.1%
  • Past 12 months

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • 1+ Years

Votes: 41 10.4%
  • Never

Votes: 64 16.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my way to pick up a green hammer with two heads and a 7 head Duncan for $45 from a local reefer, so that makes it today haha.

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. When is the last time that you PURCHASED live goods, dry goods or equipment from a fellow hobbyist?
Never

2. When is the last time that you SOLD live goods, dry goods or equipment to a fellow hobbyist?

When I owned a LFS eons ago....but never as an individual

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You missed one option: Never

edit: It's not that I'm opposed to it, just that my location makes it very difficult to connect with possible sellers, and I like to see what I'm buying if its used.

Added to the poll!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold a tank on here with no issues. I normally don't sell anything because I absolutely can't stand lowballers. I own a service type business and I'm always dealing with people wanting a discount of some kind so it irritates me because I deal with it daily. If someone wants to beat me up on price I'm done with them. When I do sell I let the buyer know up front the item is priced to sell and I'm not going to negotiate take it or leave it. I mean you don't contact Amazon trying to get something for $5 less or ask the grocery to knock $50 off your bill...
No, but I saw a guy try and do it in Best Buy. He finally got angry with the salesperson and asked for the manager. He then proceeded to bad mouth the salesperson to the manager. If the manager hadn't taken the salesperson's side I was going to have to step in and voice my opinion since the salesperson had been very courteous the entire time.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my first item via facebook this past week. I had a jbj 20gal frag tank and stand I had bought several years ago and never even unboxed. I made someone a great deal since I sold it for $100. I figured that was reasonable since there was no way for me to even know if the thing held water.
There are 2 things that make me hesitant to sell.
1. I read too many times of people not showing up when they say they will be there. Several local members have told me they have stayed at home for hours with no one showing up. That is even with the person telling them they are only xx minutes away.
2. I don't want to be scammed out of my property. I know cash is king but it can be hard to sell something expensive if cash is the only option. I've seen so many people complain about being scammed using venmo or other paying apps. Some say PP is good but I've always read that paypal takes the buyers side 99% of the time. I've got an apex to sell which I plan to put up this week. I'm going to see if cash or PP family and friends gets me any takers.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought coral locally but they are all basement sellers so I consider them more on the LFS side of things. They are just doing it by skirting the law by not getting the proper permits or collecting taxes.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've bought and sold stuff here for years. Some were good and a couple not as good, but I take the bad with the good.

Last edited:

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my heater and a Kessil AP9x here, I will admit the later was pretty worrisome given the expense, but the seller was very efficient and my worries were quickly replaced by annoyance when I tried to get the light on my home network. Which is not at all the sellers fault.

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered over a year ago because I read it as "when did you last buy something from someone on reef2reef." Had i read it correctly, the answer would have been yesterday lol

Bladezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased 3 additional MP60's for my build. While I'm waiting on my tank to be built I'm going to install them on my bath tub with some air bubblers and make me a spa tub. lol

I Love La Los Angeles GIF by Randy Newman

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week, I sold a deluxe Adaptive Reef controller board, barely used at a good discount.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold a tank on here with no issues. I normally don't sell anything because I absolutely can't stand lowballers. I own a service type business and I'm always dealing with people wanting a discount of some kind so it irritates me because I deal with it daily. If someone wants to beat me up on price I'm done with them. When I do sell I let the buyer know up front the item is priced to sell and I'm not going to negotiate take it or leave it. I mean you don't contact Amazon trying to get something for $5 less or ask the grocery to knock $50 off your bill...
Agree with you sentiment. when i sell on FB marketplace I put a fair price and it sells quickly usually.

Ive had a few guys roll up and try to talk it down when they get there and I just tell them not thanks ( not with fish stuff).

Im fine with letting them drive home without what they wanted.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my first item via facebook this past week. I had a jbj 20gal frag tank and stand I had bought several years ago and never even unboxed. I made someone a great deal since I sold it for $100. I figured that was reasonable since there was no way for me to even know if the thing held water.
There are 2 things that make me hesitant to sell.
1. I read too many times of people not showing up when they say they will be there. Several local members have told me they have stayed at home for hours with no one showing up. That is even with the person telling them they are only xx minutes away.
2. I don't want to be scammed out of my property. I know cash is king but it can be hard to sell something expensive if cash is the only option. I've seen so many people complain about being scammed using venmo or other paying apps. Some say PP is good but I've always read that paypal takes the buyers side 99% of the time. I've got an apex to sell which I plan to put up this week. I'm going to see if cash or PP family and friends gets me any takers.
Cash is king also zelle is great and instant.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve sold tanks and frags on FB marketplace with success.
sell some frags to some of the LFS from time to time. But I like to know what they want to pay rather than “go pick some stuff out”
One does that mostly. But I only bring them stuff i’m trying to thin out. they don’t always get the choice stuff.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cash is king also zelle is great and instant.
I asked a few local people that sell all the time and they said to not use zelle or venmo because it was very easy for the buyer to dispute the charge and there was nothing you could do to stop it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back