Where coral goes to die....

chefunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I think of my tank. I'm so frustrated right now. I don't know what I'm missing. I have a IM Nuvo 20. In a week it will be 6 months old since start of cycle. Parameters have been solid for a long time. Ammonia - 0 , Nitrates - 20ppm, Nitrites - 0 ppm, PH - 8.4. Been that way for 2 months. The only thing I have problems with is keeping my salinity up, haven't figured that out yet, it's generally 1.014 or so. I have a clown and an oyster crested goby as well as snails and blue tip crabs that have been in there for up to 3 months, no problem. Any time I introduce a Soft coral, it goes belly up within days. I run a Aquagadget Reactor with Charcoal, filter floss as well as purigen in the media racks.

I went to the LFS the other day and spent time with a knowledgable person, talked a lot about my challenges and got some suggestions from him on placement, flow, etc. 5 days later they are all demonstrably dead or appear to be dying. What gives? What am I missing?

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump... I mean I even killed a Kenya tree [emoji1786]

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated the refractometer?

I would ditch the purigen. Get into a solid water change regimen doing 5g every week for a few weeks. Check salinity of mixed SW to confirm it's correct.

OP
OP
C

chefunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated the refractometer?

I would ditch the purigen. Get into a solid water change regimen doing 5g every week for a few weeks. Check salinity of mixed SW to confirm it's correct.
I have calibrated the refractometer. I do a 15% (3gal) water change every Sunday. Have since the beginning.

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't change your filtering. Focus on getting your salinity up. Fish and most inverts can survive at levels as low as yours but corals just can't.

You'll need to bring it up slowly. I would start by making your water change water at 1.030 each time you change your water. Once you get your dt up to 1.024-1.026 then match your salinity levels of your water change with your dt

OP
OP
C

chefunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't change your filtering. Focus on getting your salinity up. Fish and most inverts can survive at levels as low as yours but corals just can't.

You'll need to bring it up slowly. I would start by making your water change water at 1.030 each time you change your water. Once you get your dt up to 1.024-1.026 then match your salinity levels of your water change with your dt
I'm sorry - DT?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back