Where could Zinc come from?

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this in my ATI analysis in my RO/DI bucket its the only thing that was observed in the RO/DI water. Any idea if it's toxic at this level and how to remove it/prevent it from continuing? This RODI system is the BRS 5 filter one and this is after about a month of using it, not sure if it's been like this over the month but I just got my test back from 2 weeks ago and found everything to be good except zinc.
Zinc12.03 µg/l0 µg/l+12.03 µg/l

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this in my ATI analysis in my RO/DI bucket its the only thing that was observed in the RO/DI water. Any idea if it's toxic at this level and how to remove it/prevent it from continuing? This RODI system is the BRS 5 filter one and this is after about a month of using it, not sure if it's been like this over the month but I just got my test back from 2 weeks ago and found everything to be good except zinc.
What level of zinc is in the tank?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10.59 µg/l1.98 µg/l+8.61 µg/l
Here’s some quotes and links that @Randy Holmes-Farley responded to other users:

I personally expect that zinc from 0 ppm TDS is not the source. Even without a DI, zinc is quite well removed by reverse osmosis membranes.

All these posts were from the same thread:

Zinc - 173% - 9.53ug/l

I wouldn't do anything about the iron and zinc. Some folks recommend iron much higher than that (I do not, but it obviously is not a big tox concern).

Zinc is a tad high, but likely not a tox concern.

I do not know the toxic levels of zinc for the organisms we keep, but many folks have somewhat elevated levels like yours without apparent issue. Papers I have seen looking for effects of zinc are usually adding much more than your level.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s more information:

zinc oxide is sometimes used as an acid scavenger in plastic.

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s more information:

Would the brute food safe trashcan do that? As I saw its what everyone uses for RODI systems

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the brute food safe trashcan do that? As I saw its what everyone uses for RODI systems
I don’t think that would add zinc.

I see he says something about a polyfilter is that like these? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/trip...in-and-tds-meter-bulk-reef-supply-bundle.html or is this a completely different product?
This is a polyfilter:

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that would add zinc.

This is a polyfilter:
So how would you add that to your RODI? like how would you use that?

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main thing is that since I used RODI to top off my tank won't the level in my tank keep rising just because I top off with it? And if so is there any real fix to this when it comes to it coming from the RODI system like if i added the single bed resins that I linked would that remove the zinc most likely?

Jcrabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue but in my tank. I use the same brs rodi. Noticed something happening with all my monti but nothing else. Put chemipure in my sump and it went away. Montis are recovering. I need to test rodi output, I assumed it was from salt or fish food?

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue but in my tank. I use the same brs rodi. Noticed something happening with all my monti but nothing else. Put chemipure in my sump and it went away. Montis are recovering. I need to test rodi output, I assumed it was from salt or fish food?
Ya mine is coming from my RODI system some how or something in the loop is causing it as the ATI test is of the water basically right out the RODI system once it goes into the bucket.

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any galvanized hardware/screws near you tank? Zinc is used to coat common hardware.
The only thing I have installed to the bucket is everything that comes with the BRS RODI system which is basically just the float(plastic) and has a plastic valve

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t use polyfilters in the RO/DI.
Ya I am guessing its like a filter floss basically you would use in the tank ? But how could I remove it with my RODI system like would adding the anion and cation 3 stage filter to the end fix it as it seems to say it helps with removing

Sodium+1Cation Resin
Calcium+2Cation Resin
Magnesium+2Cation Resin
Aluminum+3Cation Resin
Ferric Iron+2Cation Resin
Ferrous Iron+3Cation Resin
Chloride-1Anion Resin
Bicarbonate-1Anion Resin
Carbonate-2Anion Resin
Sulfate-2Anion Resin
Nitrate-1Anion Resin
Phosphate-3Anion Resin
Silcate-4Anion Resin

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it is high enough to be any issue (I doubt it) and it also isn’t clear the ro/di is the main tank source since it gets diluted greatly when added to tank water.

A metal binder might bind it (polyfilter, cuprisorb, metasorb, etc).

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it is high enough to be any issue (I doubt it) and it also isn’t clear the ro/di is the main tank source since it gets diluted greatly when added to tank water.

A metal binder might bind it (polyfilter, cuprisorb, metasorb, etc).
Thank you randy if I see it rise a little too high I will get some poly filter!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back