Where do people find used tanks now?

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
4,888
Reaction score
4,487
Location
Columbus, ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a long time since Ive been in this hobby!

but really looking to get back into it with my kids

just looking for something between 5-30 gallons (probably a biocube)

where do people find used tanks these days? Facebook? craigslist still?

Thanks!
 
I have 2 setting in my garage... ugh.. need to sell them cheap as turtle tanks or something. Be careful buying used. I personally would make sure the seams are not abused (over use of raiser blades to scrap) and they have not been sitting dry for an extend period of time.
 
For smaller tanks like your requested 5-30 gallon, you could watch your local PetCo for the $1-per-gallon sale to get cheap basic aquariums. I'm not sure how much risk from used tanks is worthwhile with smaller tanks that are not too expensive new. I understand this is personal opinion, though.

Used tanks may be found through the means listed above.
 
Maybe here? https://www.facebook.com/cora.bod/ Also check if the club has a reef2reef or reefcentral.com channel.

Central Ohio Reef Aquarists

And if/when you start looking at more ambitious/$$$ setups, it might be worth expanding the search to Cleveland and surroundings. I did one of my degrees in Cleveland and at that time (A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....) there were some decent saltwater shops in town, so I suspect there is probably a club or strong community there as well. If not, you should start one along the lines of "Reef Addicts Anonymous.....". ;) It's a disease, not a hobby. Welcome back!
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't buy a used glass tank, only Acrylic.

Used gear and stands is where you can save big bucks.

I got my used stuff from "nextdoor" app, a local fish store and ebay.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new