Where do you keep your equipment?

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40G Nuvo AIO

Space is always a factor. I have two tanks, a 32 AIO and a 65 with a sump below. I've learned the hard way, and now I QT everything. Since I only introduce small fish in my systems but mostly corals, I use an AIO 5 gallon EVO peninsula tank. Light and everything is about $100 and I use one of my spare heaters. When something is coming in, I setup the tank with water from the larger system (and replace with a water change in the original system). Add a rock from the target system for filtration. If it's just for corals, I go with that and do weekly water changes until I'm ready to add to one of the other tanks. I also have carbon in the tank because the chemical wars continue. If I get a fish I will cycle the small tank with stability and monitor it, then add the new fish or invert and add an ammonia badge just in case. I sit this on my home office desk and break it down when done. Works great for me. And for corals I can have this up and running quickly (just in case I came across something that was a must have). All I need is to mix and heat the 5 gallons of saltwater that replaced the source water in my larger system and the tank is up and running.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waters, PLEASE put a center brace on that top shelf. Every time I look at it I am thinking, "That's gonna break" :(.
Lol, it is actually deceiving. The board is just warped from previous, heavy junk that was stored on there. If I take everything off of that shelf, it still looks that way. I was just too lazy to replace the shelf when I painted them blue to match the sump......yes, you heard that right, I painted my shelving to match the sump :)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, it is actually deceiving. The board is just warped from previous, heavy junk that was stored on there. If I take everything off of that shelf, it still looks that way. I was just too lazy to replace the shelf when I painted them blue to match the sump......yes, you heard that right, I painted my shelving to match the sump :)

Flip it upside down and let it level itself out

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1818.jpg

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had a basement or fish room or wife let me conver down stairs bathroom. But I dont. So I am trying to plan around it best I can to have water storage, mixing in the garage. Heat in the summer may be an issue though, 110°f plus and a non cooled garage may be an issue. I know I dont want to carry buckets of water anymore.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had a basement or fish room or wife let me conver down stairs bathroom. But I dont. So I am trying to plan around it best I can to have water storage, mixing in the garage. Heat in the summer may be an issue though, 110°f plus and a non cooled garage may be an issue. I know I dont want to carry buckets of water anymore.

One option is to do like I did an get a larger ATO container so you would only have to do it once a week. That was the best option that I could come up with.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amazing when people come into my home and see my 210g in the living area and nothing else on this level and they love the tank. Then, I ask them if they want to see what runs the tank and bring them down to the basement to the "fish" room. They are amazed at all the stuff involved. They always ask how I know this stuff. Lots of learning and research. Of course my "fish" room has four other systems running in it too. :)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amazing when people come into my home and see my 210g in the living area and nothing else on this level and they love the tank. Then, I ask them if they want to see what runs the tank and bring them down to the basement to the "fish" room. They are amazed at all the stuff involved. They always ask how I know this stuff. Lots of learning and research. Of course my "fish" room has four other systems running in it too. :)

I bet that scares them from wanting an aquarium.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet that scares them from wanting an aquarium.

It does. I try to remind them that it is not so bad if they are willing to do the work and and have a passion for it. Not for faint of hearted though.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does. I try to remind them that it is not so bad if they are willing to do the work and and have a passion for it. Not for faint of hearted though.

I'd also tell them that they can do it with much less equipment as well (sure you do). They need to know that it takes a lot of time to get where you currently are with it.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I try to let them know on my little nano systems that can be done easier and less work. Just need the knowledge and patience. I talk to a lot of teachers about this and kids through my educational outreach programs. They are always curious.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked for it :)

This was at one time our coat closet, in the entry way. It's a mess, but it suits my needs. My primary goal was that EVERYTHING fit in this closet, and that I am able to easily access all of the equipment for normal maintenance WITHOUT having to work from my knees. It's a bit narrow, but I can stand in the closet along with my sump.

Once of these days, I may well design a 10" wide sump, long, and tall... to make better use of the space. No rush, the 55g tank is working.

The barrel in the lower foreground is my mixing station. I'm in the process of adding a high level sensor and float valve to it, but for right now, it's a manual refill The big silicone hose goes to the tank, I can attach it to my mixing pump to refill the tank after a water change. Dosing pump is pushing Kalkwasser and ESV B-Ionic. There's a 5g ato reservoir just out of frame at the lower right, with an automatic refill cycle. Tank is on the other side of the back wall.

sump.jpg

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked for it :)

This was at one time our coat closet, in the entry way. It's a mess, but it suits my needs. My primary goal was that EVERYTHING fit in this closet, and that I am able to easily access all of the equipment for normal maintenance WITHOUT having to work from my knees. It's a bit narrow, but I can stand in the closet along with my sump.

Once of these days, I may well design a 10" wide sump, long, and tall... to make better use of the space. No rush, the 55g tank is working.

The barrel in the lower foreground is my mixing station. I'm in the process of adding a high level sensor and float valve to it, but for right now, it's a manual refill The big silicone hose goes to the tank, I can attach it to my mixing pump to refill the tank after a water change. Dosing pump is pushing Kalkwasser and ESV B-Ionic. There's a 5g ato reservoir just out of frame at the lower right, with an automatic refill cycle. Tank is on the other side of the back wall.

sump.jpg

Hey most of us aren’t as anal about look versus function ;)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump closet

Love the bi-fold louvered doors. Mine is dual sliding mirrored doors. I'd _love_ to be able to open both doors at once. Maybe I'll look into replacing them.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey most of us aren’t as anal about look versus function ;)

Hm... I'm not certain that's true anymore. It may not be most, but there's a good subset around here that appear to be. Not that it bothers me... I drool over their photos just like the next guy. Just not my thing. Simple, accessible, maintainable...

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm... I'm not certain that's true anymore. It may not be most, but there's a good subset around here that appear to be. Not that it bothers me... I drool over their photos just like the next guy. Just not my thing. Simple, accessible, maintainable...

I do the same as well. As long as I can determine what cable is what without a huge rats nest, then I am GTG. I spend the extra money saved on more equipment :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same as well. As long as I can determine what cable is what without a huge rats nest, then I am GTG. I spend the extra money saved on more equipment :)
I marked my rats nest with a label maker. Lol

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back