Where do you mount your VorTechs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x mp40's and 2x mp10's on a 6x2x2 180 opposite sides of the tank.

20160726_005618.jpg

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have coral yet, but it appears to work well. I get a bit of a gyre with detritus being pushed up and back into the overflow. My favorite view of the tank is from the sides so I didn't want to block the viewing panels with pumps. I also have a floating canopy/open top so I didn't want any plumbing on the corners. The tank is 36" front to back, so I definitely need flow toward the front of the tank and this option is working out great so far. Eventually everything will be covered in purple coraline algae. The pumps should end up blending in quite nicely.

Last edited:

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easily one of the most recognizable and popular circulation pumps in the aquarium industry is the VorTech! Whether you're running a 2.5 pico tank or a monster reef of over 1,000 gallons, these great pumps by EcoTech Marine will keep the flow you need with powerful water movement and amazing controlability (and if you've got the new QuietDrive versions, they're 90% quieter and have up to 40% more output)!

Now...the only question left to ask is where do you mount it? How do you determine where to mount your VorTechs in your DT? Do you mount them on the sides or on the back? Up high, mid range, or lower? Tell us about yours.

1.jpg

Since that is my tank, I suppose I should post what I'm running. I'm glad you liked it enough to use it as the thread photo! You can't see all of them in the picture, but I have 6 vortechs on my 210. I'm running 2 MP40 in the back and 1 each MP40 and MP60 on each side. Left back and 2 right vs right back and 2 left anti sync in my 72 x 27 x 24 SPS dominated mixed reef all running on 100% reef crest. At the time, now I am running a custom program with my Apex.

As my colonies have grown and blocked the flow, I have needed to add more to address dead spots. Originally this tank had one MP60 on one end and the 2 MP40 s on the back.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traditional sides!
Do you synch them when you put them in opposite sides? I have mine on opposite sides too, about 6-8 inches down from top so that my SPS get the most flow, but I am not sure if I should synch them. Is this beneficial at all?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I have noticed that when I run mine four to five in below the surface My ORP goes substantially higher up by close to 100 points. I know this is due to oxidation if I recall correctly.
Now if this is a good thing which I hope it is I’m keeping them there.
I run pulse with anti sync and I also run nutrient with a anti sync as well.
These are set center on my tank

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I have noticed that when I run mine four to five in below the surface My ORP goes substantially higher up by close to 100 points. I know this is due to oxidation if I recall correctly.
Now if this is a good thing which I hope it is I’m keeping them there.
I run pulse with anti sync and I also run nutrient with a anti sync as well.
These are set center on my tank

Interesting on the ORP. I will need to monitor this, as mine are only 6 inches below the surface, however, with them on opposite sides, one is towards the back and one is towards the front.

Are yours dead center on opposite sides.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes almost dead center, if I lower them then ORP falls. My tank is a 45 gal JBJ AIO that I converted to have a trigger systems 20 gallon sump. I have two MP10’s
The rock extends a little more than half up the tank and along the back of the tank and all the way across. I feed mainly in front and mostly pellet

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 MP40's on the back wall of my 80g, bottom corners, 85% Reefcrest Anti-Synch. You can get an idea from this picture.

2018-10-26 FTS.jpg

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the trash. I can buy 6x the number if power heads with even greater flow...plus a controller for the price of one

To each his own. I like these, which is why I asked for opinions on anti-synch, not whether I should buy them or not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back