Where in the world to put Ro/DI?

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So getting back into the hobby, I've since moved a few times. We own a home now but have no garage. Our washer and dryer are located in a small room that might have enough room for a brute container and an ro/di against the wall. The other option is to put the unit on the covered back porch but I'd have to drill a hole through my block home to get the water line outside. Ideas on where to put the unit and collection container?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large of a tank.....how much water you need to make? I have mine in the laundry room and only fill 5 gallon water jugs by putting them in the slop sink. What I like about this is if I forget, the overflow simply goes down the drain and not all over the floor.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is under the kitchen sink, mounted to the side of the cabinet. I just roll the brute trash can into the kitchen when I want to make water. Was able to use the drain fitting and attach the waste water hose onto the sink drain.

I keep my brute can in the dining room corner. I bought a round table cloth to go over it so it just looks like a table (and the salt water container also).

It would not be very difficult to run the RODI line into the attic and over to the brute so I do not have to wheel it around, but my husband is not too fond of me drilling holes in the walls (or floors, or ceiling lol).

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine mounted above the washing machine with the waste line running down the drain. I have a 25' line that I can run to anything within the radius. Depending on where you live, mounting it outside could be a bad idea. If it gets too hot it'll ruin your carbon blocks, if it gets below freezing you could end up with burst lines or canisters.

OP
OP
mallorieGgator

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The unit would be inside but I'm used to having a brute full of ro/di with a float valve to turn off the unit once the garbage can is full.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So getting back into the hobby, I've since moved a few times. We own a home now but have no garage. Our washer and dryer are located in a small room that might have enough room for a brute container and an ro/di against the wall. The other option is to put the unit on the covered back porch but I'd have to drill a hole through my block home to get the water line outside. Ideas on where to put the unit and collection container?

Depends on how much RODI storage you need, but I would say build a vertical rack for two smaller containers (the size of a single brute can) and put it in the laundry room. I have the exact same issue at my house (no garage, smaller laundry room). I was lucky in that my laundry room holds the water heater and had a "clothes folding shelf" my wife never used, so I managed to fit two barrels in there, with the RODI on the wall, and a mixing pump between them.

If you do not have enough space horizontally, you can build a strong wood frame and go vertically. There are some great pictures on here of people who have done just that!

OP
OP
mallorieGgator

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large of a tank.....how much water you need to make? I have mine in the laundry room and only fill 5 gallon water jugs by putting them in the slop sink. What I like about this is if I forget, the overflow simply goes down the drain and not all over the floor.

The tank will be 75 to 90 gal. Haven't decided yet. I used to have a brute garbage can with a float valve that would turn the unit on and off as needed when I took water out. That way I always had fresh water.

Back