Where should I place the coral (aesthetic)?

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Today I reached the end of my initial stocking period. These are the corals I envision having for the next year.
I am content with my aquascape in terms of the rock and sand bed.

While I know the technical requirements of each coral, I would like some ideas on how to place them creatively so that they grow in well and cover all parts of the tank equally.

- Right now, the top right sand of my tank only has one small clove polyp, and appears rather bare.
- I had the idea to make a Euphylia hammer/frogspawn garden on the top of the second rock, huddle towards the little overhang (I like that cute "cave").
- The island rock was planned to be a Zoa garden.
- I have had a hard time figuring out spacing and placement for the LPS that will sting others

You should know:
- The anemone doesn't really move much
- I am trying to not buy an additional wave maker/more powerful pump
- My flow will be directed by 2 RFG nozzles from the return pump.
- My tank is designed to be viewed from all 3 sides, with emphasis on the side facing the couch (you can tell from the pics)

Please view my build thread for a complete list coral and inhabitants. The list of corals is also pasted below:

Corals:
- Unknown Red/Purple Zoanthid
- Eagle Eye Zoa
- Pink Hammer
- Gold Hammer
- Frogspawn
- Galaxy coral
- Pulsing Xenia
- Firework Clove Polyp
- Ricordea yuma
- Jack-o-lantern Lepto
- Candy Cane Coral
- War Coral (Favite)

I appreciate your advice.

tempImagea4YSaK.png tempImagewPbgPU.png tempImageM7O4pw.png

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some specific species in mind? It’s hard to recommend species without knowing more about your tank. I think you’re going to be very limited in what you can keep if you don’t add more flow, none of the return pumps in the popular AiOs (even when upgraded and even with RFG nozzles) are adequate, they don’t provide enough flow, and the flow they do provide is laminar and direct (you want turbulent and random). Also, what kind of lighting do you have?

The clove polyps will take over that whole rock in a matter of months, they grow very quickly once they are happy, so you may want to rethink their placement while you can (unless you like them and want them to take over - I have a rock in my tank that they’re sort of taking over, but I have some larger/taller leathers that they can’t overtake to break it up). Some leathers would work nicely in your tank, also a Monti cap or a plating chalice like the Hollywood stunner (make sure to place strategically in terms of flow as they have pretty nasty sweepers) would be cool. Also some photosynthetic gorgonians would be nice for some height. Along the bottom some acan/micro lords and some blastos would be nice. Maybe a small Trachy or fungia on the sandbed. I don’t recommend going with SPS in such a small tank unless you’re experienced.

OP
OP
F

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. I should clarify that I'm seeking advice on the placement of the corals I already have, and not advice on which corals I should buy in the future.

Is Monti Cap not SPS?

Lighting is Ai Prime HD (not 16HD).

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora digitata. Also sps but do well in a range of light intensities. You can get into sps at a lower price point with them usually, they are hearty and branch nicely as well. Bubblegum, forestfire, superman, red, green or peach

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220423-211224.png
    Screenshot_20220423-211224.png
    886 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
F

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations. I will keep those in mind for future stocking. I have wanted to add height, and was looking at leathers. But the buying of corals is turning into an addiction...

I don't even think I'd know where to place them! Hence this thread.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I nice green finger leather draping off the side of your scape would be nice

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220424-090700.png
    Screenshot_20220424-090700.png
    513.2 KB · Views: 32
Back