Where should I put my powerheads?

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank.jpg

Based off of this picture, where would you put the powerheads to get higher flow at the top of the right island for the torches, and high flow on majority of the left island for the SPS. I feel like I have too many powerheads in the tank right now (4) , and I feel that better placement would help eliminate at least one. Any suggestions?

WarChief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have almost the exact same setup as I do with regards to flow. I have a nero 5 about the same place on the right providing a wave pattern to the coral. Then on the left I have a cheaper pump pointing up to the top of the tank to help with air. To be honest a lot of it comes down to how the flow affects the tank. Its not as simple as point and place. I am all the time making small adjustments.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four powerheads is perfect. I have similar setup with MP 40s.
I would put posterior Rt a little below the level of posterior Lt and vice versa with anterior one if you want gyre. You could also put them at the same level at opposite ends, so turbulence is created in the middle. There are limitless options. I would put them on alternating programs, so flow is reversed.
If you eliminate one or two, you will inevitably have some areas with no flow or lower flow and that is asking for some detritus or algae accumulation/growth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back