Where to buy captive bred fish?

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find a site that sells captive bred royal Gramma basslets and captive bred harptail blennies. Biota carries both but they are out of the harptail. I usually check oceans gardens, liveaquaria, Pacific east aquaculture, and Biota. What other sites do y'all buy captive bred fish from?

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find a site that sells captive bred royal Gramma basslets and captive bred harptail blennies. Biota carries both but they are out of the harptail. I usually check oceans gardens, liveaquaria, Pacific east aquaculture, and Biota. What other sites do y'all buy captive bred fish from?
I would make sure wherever you buy from, they are kept completely separate from their wild fish. You don’t want to buy a cb fish that has been sitting in a copper system with wild caught fish being exposed to disease and parasites. They will arrive free of disease and much healthier this way.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other online retailers most likely get their captive bred fish from Biota/ORA, so if the fish you want is sold out at the source, it's unlikely you'll find it elsewhere. (As far as I know, other online retailers that offer livestock from Biota or ORA don't actually take delivery of the fish but act as distributors and the fish are shipped to you from the original facility)

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae barn probably does a good job of this, not sure about saltwateraquarium.
That's a good point. I believe saltwater aquarium only sells fish from ORA right now and they ship directly from ORA. So they should both be safe in that regard.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other online retailers most likely get their captive bred fish from Biota/ORA, so if the fish you want is sold out at the source, it's unlikely you'll find it elsewhere. (As far as I know, other online retailers that offer livestock from Biota or ORA don't actually take delivery of the fish but act as distributors and the fish are shipped to you from the original facility)
That is exactly what I have found. And at this point, it looks like only biota is breeding royal grammas. I have decided I am going to add this fish last to my system. So I have time to wait for it to pop back up in stock. Thanks for the answer!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, I would not recommend buying tiny captive angels and putting them in a busy reef with large fish. They need to eat frequently and could easily be a target of aggression.

Mine is doing great, had it a few months now, It is in the 20g fuge though since I assume the large active guys in my tank would stress this little silver dollar out. Plus tons to forage in there. Tiny growing fish need a lot of food. A grow out tank is set up for it already and just sort of waiting for it to come to life. I plan to buy another angel and grow it out as well. I am in no rush.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, I would not recommend buying tiny captive angels and putting them in a busy reef with large fish. They need to eat frequently and could easily be a target of aggression.

Mine is doing great, had it a few months now, It is in the 20g fuge though since I assume the large active guys in my tank would stress this little silver dollar out. Plus tons to forage in there. Tiny growing fish need a lot of food. A grow out tank is set up for it already and just sort of waiting for it to come to life. I plan to buy another angel and grow it out as well. I am in no rush.
Very true. A criticism I have heard frequently about the CB yellow tangs is that they aren't as brightly colored as wild caught. I suspect this is due in part to "babies" naturally having muted coloration (although since they've only been on the market a short time, after 3-4 years, maybe the adults are still less colorful...?)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. A criticism I have heard frequently about the CB yellow tangs is that they aren't as brightly colored as wild caught. I suspect this is due in part to "babies" naturally having muted coloration (although since they've only been on the market a short time, after 3-4 years, maybe the adults are still less colorful...?)

I found this awhile back... post #63 - it has a captive and wild next to each other and they are indistinguishable

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the kind words in this thread. If you have any questions about our live stock please feel free to tag us and we can help you out.

We are getting in batches of Royal Gramma almost every week but our blennies are out of stock for the foreseeable future we made some diatary and systems changes and they haven't resumed spawning again but I'll pass along the message to the Palau team to see if they plan on getting new broodstock soon.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the kind words in this thread. If you have any questions about our live stock please feel free to tag us and we can help you out.

We are getting in batches of Royal Gramma almost every week but our blennies are out of stock for the foreseeable future we made some diatary and systems changes and they haven't resumed spawning again but I'll pass along the message to the Palau team to see if they plan on getting new broodstock soon.
Hey jake

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey jakevwhen will you get more cb multibars

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jakevwhen will you get more cb multibars
I was hoping to get them on our last shipment from Bali but they were still a bit too small to ship. But here's a video of them at the farm. I would guess around 4-6 more weeks of grow-out.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish mature so probably has a lot to do with it as you noted. With regards to how the yellows look over time someone here posted images of their captive and wild together and you couldn't tell any difference.

Edit: @Tamberav posted the link (thanks btw).

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While they are at it maybe they can play some smooth jazz over at the milletseed system to get them in the mood :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back