Where to dump dirty water

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been dumping my dirty water after a water change outside into an area drain that then goes out to the front gutter. My buddy mentioned that it might be inconsiderate to my neighbors since the dirty saltwater runs down all of their gutters and I live in an area that rarely rains. I'm thinking maybe I should just dump this stuff into my shower drain instead . Is this a stupid thing to put extra thought into?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been dumping my dirty water after a water change outside into an area drain that then goes out to the front gutter. My buddy mentioned that it might be inconsiderate to my neighbors since the dirty saltwater runs down all of their gutters and I live in an area that rarely rains. I'm thinking maybe I should just dump this stuff into my shower drain instead . Is this a stupid thing to put extra thought into?
That’s being considerate of others.
Good for you. Down drain is just fine.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump mine into my utility sink drain.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve pour mine down various Drains in the house, it cleans them out if you let it sit, from the Osmosis Shock to the Bacteria growing in the Drain. I used to put Roadway Rock Salt down the Floor Drains, at work, that the AC Drains dumped into. Never had another clogged floor drain.

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused with the toilet solution. Do you just pour a few gallons in, flush, pour another few gallons, flush, over and over? It sounds really arduous. Not to mention the splash factor .

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future folks, not recommended for septic systems, at least not without more research. There's a chance that the saltwater can decimate the bacteria population in your system!

Edit: it's been made clear that for the most part dumping waste saltwater into your septic is fine due to how diluted it becomes. It's still worth doing your own reading on the subject in my opinion.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future folks, not recommended for septic systems, at least not without more research. There's a chance that the saltwater can decimate the bacteria population in your system!
Not unless you are dumping hundreds of gallons at a time.
The normal wastewater volume will dilute the waste saltwater sufficiently.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. I've been dumping 30-40 gallons a week into my septic for over 8 years with no problems. Just had the septic pumped for the first time in 27 years and all is fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back