Where to dump dirty water

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. I've been dumping 30-40 gallons a week into my septic for over 8 years with no problems. Just had the septic pumped for the first time in 27 years and all is fine.
He did say "... there's a chance..."
And it's a good point. If you've ever had to deal with a problematic septic system, you'd appreciate the comment...

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did say "... there's a chance..."
And it's a good point. If you've ever had to deal with a problematic septic system, you'd appreciate the comment...
I understand the concern but it's unfounded IMO and I don't want people to think they can't dump their waste water down the drain. I've been on septic my entire life (63yo) and I do realize the hassle repairing or replacing a system can be but it will not be because of some water change water being dumped down the drain.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the concern but it's unfounded IMO and I don't want people to think they can't dump their waste water down the drain. I've been on septic my entire life (63yo) and I do realize the hassle repairing or replacing a system can be but it will not be because of some water change water being dumped down the drain.
I mean... Not all septic systems are created equal and while your experience is valid it doesn't mean it can't exacerbate issues if people are already experiencing other problems in their system. Size of the system and local regulations has a lot to do with it too. All I said is it's worth the research.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean... Not all septic systems are created equal and while your experience is valid it doesn't mean it can't exacerbate issues if people are already experiencing other problems in their system. Size of the system and local regulations has a lot to do with it too. All I said is it's worth the research.
The thing about septic systems is they all hold only the solid waste and the liquid goes out into a leach bed, sand filter etc called a soil absorption field (I did have to look up the terminology :winking-face: ) There are other sewer systems but septic systems are septic and they all end the same way with the liquid waste ending up in the soil. Or in my case it goes through a sand filtration system and drains into a branch of the black river and ends up in Lake Erie. I'm not trying to be argumentative but I also don't want this thread to pop up in a search and some poor souls thinking they need to come up with some sort of way to dispose of their wastewater like it's hazardous waste or something.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future folks, not recommended for septic systems, at least not without more research. There's a chance that the saltwater can decimate the bacteria population in your system!
Can someone please elaborate on this? I have been adding about 50 G a month into my septic. And I’m about to install a 250g tank. What to do with all this dirty water?

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic got new thinking. I wonder how efficient or inefficient it would be to collect your waste water and run another RO/DI setup from the waste water to desalinate it
Currently I dump it down the sink drain with the sink on

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about septic systems is they all hold only the solid waste and the liquid goes out into a leach bed, sand filter etc called a soil absorption field (I did have to look up the terminology :winking-face: ) There are other sewer systems but septic systems are septic and they all end the same way with the liquid waste ending up in the soil. Or in my case it goes through a sand filtration system and drains into a branch of the black river and ends up in Lake Erie. I'm not trying to be argumentative but I also don't want this thread to pop up in a search and some poor souls thinking they need to come up with some sort of way to dispose of their wastewater like it's hazardous waste or something.
Thank you for the insight

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please elaborate on this? I have been adding about 50 G a month into my septic. And I’m about to install a 250g tank. What to do with all this dirty water?
How many in the house?
We use about 30 gallons per day per person, showers, toilets, washing.
Thats 900 gallons a month, per person. Five people, almost 5000 gallons a month.
50 gallons of saltwater is diluted into this.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I just flush the drain with some tap water too to dilute it even more

ALittleFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic got new thinking. I wonder how efficient or inefficient it would be to collect your waste water and run another RO/DI setup from the waste water to desalinate it
I like this idea, but I do wonder if you need to somehow remove or lower the salt concentration because I would think that the salt might clog the carbon block and a wonder how long a RO membrane would last with basically straight seawater?

Anybody have any experience or have tried this?

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone with a saltwater pool already, I really really wish I could just dump it all into my pool .

padilla95624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater is corrosive to metal so any metal pipes, fittings or sink parts will start to rust over time. Newer houses usually use plastic pipe for sewers but older houses may become a problem. Dumping it down the storm drain can contribute to pour water quality in local streams and rivers. The sewer is the most conservative option. That being said, I pipe mine to the yard drain from my auto water changer or dump it down the sink and chase it with tap water. I like the toilet idea too.

I once saw the City test the neighbors water they pumped from their pool because of the chlorine. They must take water quality as serious as a reefer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back