Where to get Hydrogen Peroxide that's not "flat"?

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last few weeks I've purchased brand new bottles of hydrogen peroxide from different local pharmacies. Bottles were sealed. After removing the seal and spilling a small amount on my hands or in the sink there are no bubbles formed at all. As I understand it, that means that it is no longer viable and is only water. I'm guessing that's why I haven't seen any affect when using it in the past against cyano or dinos. Anyone else have this issue? Can someone suggest a reliable place to buy some?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Paradox is alluding to, 3% hydrogen peroxide does not bubble like a soft drink as it just sits around. It bubbles when it encounters catalysts that break it down, as are exposed in cuts (catalase is exposed in cuts).

OP
OP
MickeyCT

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No open, bleeding cuts but I always have various scrapes, etc.

Per healthline.com
"Hydrogen peroxide is a pretty reactive substance, so there’s a simple way to detect whether it’s still good. Simply pour a little of the liquid into your sink and watch to see if it fizzes or bubbles. If you don’t notice anything, it’s likely no longer good."
"Hydrogen peroxide can irritate and even burn your skin. To avoid getting it on your hands, wear gloves when using it. If you get some on your hands, wash your hands immediately with soap and water and rinse them under the tap for several seconds.
Also take care not to get it in your eyes, as it can cause irritation and in severe cases, eye damage. If you get some in your eyes, flush your eyes with water for at least 15 minutes."

Now I don't want to try getting any in my eyes! I have tried adding some to some live rock rubble and still no reaction, no different than just adding water.

Is there a better way to check?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get stronger than 3% h2o2 at hydroponics shop, hot tub places and many others. I have a 55g drum of 40% that I use in my hot tub. This stuff is no joke and a drop on your skin will turn it white and cause cell damage. Be careful if you want more than 3%.

OP
OP
MickeyCT

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I didn't think of trying it as a mouthwash, I forgot all about that usage. I tried the raw potato as Randy suggested and it did bubble so I guess that means it's good after all. I'll also keep that in my toolbox for future use. Now at least when I try H2O2 in the reef if there's no reaction it isn't because of using ineffective hydrogen peroxide.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back