Hydrogen Peroxide 30 minute bath?

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By giving the fish a Hydrogen bath is it as good as using Praziquantel? To kill fluke if the fish is infected. Have 2 coming out of 22 days of QT in theraputic copper, didnt praziqunatel . so I was wondering is it a good Idea the use 20 ml Hydrogen Peroxide in 1 gallon of water, bath for 30 minutes will that be suffiecient. Both look healthy and no rubbing agaist anything. Just trying to be safe any ideas appreciated. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
By giving the fish a Hydrogen bath is it as good as using Praziquantel? To kill fluke if the fish is infected. Have 2 coming out of 22 days of QT in theraputic copper, didnt praziqunatel . so I was wondering is it a good Idea the use 20 ml Hydrogen Peroxide in 1 gallon of water, bath for 30 minutes will that be suffiecient. Both look healthy and no rubbing agaist anything. Just trying to be safe any ideas appreciated. Thanks
Peroxide is a snake oil method used as a short cut and used because its easier but often an antiseptic measure that not often works. Prazi Pro is a proven dewormer and fluke medication with a glycol base and tank safe and easy to administer. A bath is not a cure but a measure of cleansing fish before introduction and Quarantining is safest method.
Fish never rub until you place them in the tank and all issues start.
If you want, you can give them a 60 minute ruby rally pro bath which covers velvet-fluke and bacterial issues but ideal is prazi or copper treatment before release into tank display

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No dip is 100% effective, and peroxide has NOT been fully tested on all fluke species.
The study that what you are proposing is based upon requires three dips, daily, moving the fish to a sterile tank each time, but it was used to control velvet, a protozoan.

Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dip is 100% effective, and peroxide has NOT been fully tested on all fluke species.
The study that what you are proposing is based upon requires three dips, daily, moving the fish to a sterile tank each time, but it was used to control velvet, a protozoan.

Jay
is there a treatment with Praziquantel before placing the fish in DT and how long of a treatment, been in QT with copper therapeutic dose for 25 days fish starting to stress out due to tank 20 long and fish is 8 inches big. Any suggestions I appreciate it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a treatment with Praziquantel before placing the fish in DT and how long of a treatment, been in QT with copper therapeutic dose for 25 days fish starting to stress out due to tank 20 long and fish is 8 inches big. Any suggestions I appreciate it.

One method is this: dose the QT with praziquantel. Then, 7 or 8 days later, dose it again. 24 hours after that, move the fish out of the tank.

Jay

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One method is this: dose the QT with praziquantel. Then, 7 or 8 days later, dose it again. 24 hours after that, move the fish out of the tank.

Jay
Thanks so its to say the praziquantel basically kills the fluke within 24 hours the adult one and the 7 days are for the eggs? Thanks again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so its to say the praziquantel basically kills the fluke within 24 hours the adult one and the 7 days are for the eggs? Thanks again

Yes, that is the basic process. Not all fluke species lay eggs, so the interval for them can be shorter, but it is not possible to know which reproductive method is used. Also, Neobendenia, the large skin/eye fluke is very difficult to remove entirely with just two prazi treatments. In some cases, 5 treatments are required to eliminate that species. In my opinion, hyposalinity works best (in a fish-only tank!) for Neobenedenia.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back